Honda Twins banner

Replaced cm400 Solenoid...Now Push Start Unresponsive and Bike Still Doesnt Start?

4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  WoundedCyborg 
#1 ·
When i went to start my 80cm400 the solenoid was clicking. Sprint66 aka Steve was kind enough to talk me through diagnosing the solenoid was the problem over the phone last week.

I ordered a solenoid from an 81 cm400a and installed it, and now when i push the start button nothing happens. The lights go out but theres no sound coming from the engine whats so ever?
I tested the new solenoid for a spark and got one, and i also touched the starter motor connection to the left battery prong side and the motor reacted.

Here are some pictures

Auto part Vehicle Bumper Car Automotive exterior
Auto part Fuel line Automotive fuel system Gas Engine

I also tried to kick start it for about 3 minutes non stop and couldnt get the bike to start.

Background info:
Recently installed new oem stator and oem ignition coil and to fix no spark

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
What's your battery read?
Do you have a multimeter?
Test the resistance when it clicks. And test your battery.

Clean the terminals and connections on all.
Fresh gas?
Maybe your starter button needs to be cleaned?

When you use the kick start do you get spark?
Take your air box off and put a latex glove hand over the carb and kick a bunch and see if it's wet or dry. Are the plugs wet? When you remove the plugs and kick(after the 3 min of kicking) does gas shoot out?

#3 ·
You have (at least) TWO separate problems.....Let's address them individually.....

IGNITION CIRCUIT:
Remove the spark-plugs from the cylinders , re-install them in their caps and ground both to the engine fins ( NOT the top head cover)....
With the bike in NEUTRAL, the "kill" switch set to "RUN" and ignition key "ON", DO the plugs spark when you spin the engine over using the kick-starter?
IF YES, we can proceed.....
IF NO, There is a problem in the bike's ignition circuit (Stator, pickup, CDI box, ignition coil, or kill circuits)
We'll have to check each component and its wiring connections to find the culprit.......

STARTER MOTOR CIRCUIT:
Set your multimeter to DC volts.....Black (common) probe to battery negative.....UNPLUG the Yellow with red stripe wire that goes to the replacement solenoid....RED meter probe to Harness end (not solenoid end ) of the yellow/red wire, and with ignition key "ON", push the starter button..... You SHOULD get a good 12V reading on the meter when the button is depressed......
IF you do, the solenoid OR its grounding circuit (including the clutch safety switch) is the problem.... IF NOT, Bad starter button switch or the wiring and connections to it....

Let us know, and/or phone me while doing these tests.......

#4 ·
Ok I have a spark when I kick start.

For the starter motor diagnostic Im getting a reading of 9.6 V when the start button is depressed. I believe the right setting on the ohm meter to test that was the "V" with the solid and dotted line beneath it.
But just in case I set the ohm meter to the V with "~" beneath it and was getting 19.9 with a depressed start button

#5 ·
Update:
Through a phone consultation with Steve (66Sprint)
Turns out the solenoid I received was bad.
It's also a possibility my battery is shot. It's weak right now but I wont know of it's broken until I charge and let it sit a few days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.