Honda Twins banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, has anyone ever cured an overly rich mixture by installing new floats. Mine had some scale on them which I cleaned up with a scotch pad and my mileage improved from approx 110 mile per tank to 130 miles per tank just from this small change. I also installed new rubber passage plugs...the old ones were a bit brittle.
The floats are orange but do not have any holes in them. I guess the question is because they are non adjustable, should floats be replaced? I find it interesting reading all the internet posts saying you can also change the mixture by adjusting the floats and now magically, ...no more adjustments possible or necessary after decades of this being an accepted procedure. Has anyone ever tried new non-adjustable floats and found a performance or change in richness or mileage?
The bike idles, cruises, pulls perfect , just runs rich. The fuel mixture screws don't cause the engine to sputter and stall until 1/2 to 1/4 way from seated and has stock pilots jets #38's.

Appreciate some input from you guys, thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,201 Posts
Replacing the rubber plugs likely had a lot more to do with improving performance than cleaning the floats did. If the floats aren't leaking and they close at the proper height replacing them won't help. It is possible that installing aftermarket float needles could cause the floats to be out of adjustment.

Idle mixture screws killing the engine around 1/4 to 1/2 from seated sounds reasonable.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts