Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I sent off my parts to get polished and they told me they were going to strip them down including the old gasket material. Well they did a great job polishing but didn't remove any of the gasket material. It's the oe gasket and it WILL NOT come off with a razor. Is there any suggestions so as to not damage the polish or clear coat? Maybe heat or light wire wheel etc? Thx.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Well....you could first tape off the polished surface you don't want harmed and then spray it with Permatex gasket remover. Then, you'll simply have to make the razor blade thing work as best as possible. I then use a scotch brite pad to remove the small stuff.

Maybe to insure the Peratex doesn't get under the tape you could build up a puddle of gasket remover in a pan and sit the gasket surface down on it....Just a thought.

Also, if you have taped off and access to a bead blast cabinet that would work; just be careful not to hit the taped surfaces.

My 2 cents...

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
A rotary wire wheel in a drill works pretty well too. As Rick mentioned, be sure to protect the polished area.

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
Firm believer in the single edge razor blade method...... ;) Steve

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So i have finally gotten about 60 percent of the covers gasket free. I think I found the easiest method. I used my dremel with the low grit sand wheel and VERY carefully took the gasket down to a thin layer. After that I switched to a stainless wire wheel on the dremel and buffed off the rest. I never worked a bare area for long and it didn't do anything to the surface area of the aluminum. I have worked on a lot of motors and I have never come across gaskets as thick or stubborn enough to not come off with a blade. I am wondering however if the thickness of the old gasket and the thinness of the new Athena gasket will cause any issues as far as cams dowels etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts