Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I'm waiting to get a transmission I'm cleaning up the lower engine case so it'll be ready to go. The previous owner used some combination of black silicone and some blue liquid gasket (Hondabond or some kind of equivalent?). Just wondering if there is any trick to getting it off? I don't want to damage the case edge in my attempt. Is there any kind of solvent that will work?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
A brass wire wheel turned at a very slow (drill) speed works well. Just be sure it's a very fine (thin) bristle brush so as not to scratch anything. Not likely with brass anyway..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
785 Posts
I scrape sillycone off with my finger nails & tips. If it does not come off easily, it is not silicone.

Hondabond4 is not blue or black, it is grey and the only kind of liquid gasket you should ever use.
Sillycone is for idiots.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts

The label clearly indicates it's a silicon sealant.......don't want to pop anyone's bubble, or start a flame war, but.......

Product Description follows - the same from a large number of suppliers. Can't find an MSDS or formulation sheet, but there's little doubt that it is indeed a silicon variant......

HONDABOND is a high-temperature silicone liquid gasket. It's unique formula is non-acidic and won't corrode aluminium like other silicone gasket products will. Best for use in areas not requiring solid gaskets.

I would simply suggest that any sealant used in excess is potentially dangerous - while the judicious use (meaning just a little bit) of just about any sealant is probably ok, as long as you keep it away from critical areas like oil passages, etc........
Now some obviously work better than others, but all of them have their potential drawbacks - ask anyone who's spent several days scraping off 40-year old brown Permatex stuff.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I'll just have to be more patient in getting it off. On mine it seems the previous owner used the blue stuff on the case mating edge and the silicone was put in the bolt holes.

Anyone ever use the high temp RTV before? I always use it on my car and find it works excellent. What ever I use I'll be sure to use it sparingly.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I use the black silicone from Permatex all the time. High temp and fuel/oil resistant. It comes off just like any other silicone sealant though. The hard way.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just to add some humor...

When I was 14 I had a 1987 Suzuki DR200. It was a fun bike for me at the time, bought it from a farmer for $150, and he had only used it to drive around the farm now and then. At some point, he had some trouble with the engine, and had to take off the left side engine cover. Problem was he used a chisel, and scored up the mating surface pretty bad, so it leaked like a sieve.

When we took it home, I cleaned it up, and got it running well, but could never get the leak to stop. So, being 14 and eager to ride, I JB Welded the thing together. :roll: Worked like a charm, but it would be years until I learned that was NOT the proper way to do things. I feel sorry for whoever has that bike now, and I have wished them luck with ever getting that cover back off again. :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts