Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I need to replace my exhaust studs on my 1980 Honda CM 400T when pulling my exhaust off I broke one of my exhaust studs and another came loose so I replaced that one but I can't figure out how to get a grip on the other studs including the broken one any suggestions how I can get a grip on these to get them loose

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
start by soaking them with your favorite penetrating oil.

Pictures of what you have would help, but, sometimes you can cut a slot for a flat blade screwdriver in the end of the stud.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Penetrating oil will help, hit the end of the stud a few times with a hammer to jar the rust loose in the threads. Heat around the stud with a propane torch, the aluminum will expand with the heat and help loosen it's grip. I've had real good luck with paraffin(candle wax) heat it up real good and melt the wax into the joint. The wax will be drawn into the threads as it cools, unscrew it after it cools down. Double nuts, tightened against each other may work the turn the stud. Vise grips is another option.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have soaked them with penetrating oil I will get pictures when I to my bike this week thanks for the help

·
Registered
460 Posts
Depending how much is left you could file two sides flat to get a good grip with a vice grip.

·
Registered
581 Posts
There are relatively inexpensive stud puller/installer sets on amazon and ebay, which can be nice to have if you work on bikes a lot. I have bought a used Mac set, but there are a lot to choose from. They don't chew up the studs on installation, and the stud can pass all the way through the tool. That allows their use with long studs like the cylinder studs. The broken off studs can be a bear to get out, however.

I use a combination of all of the previously mentioned methods for loosening the frozen stud first (heat, liquid wrench, etc).

Here is a listing for one. I have a standard set in this brand, and have had no issues with it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OTC-Metric...819265&hash=item20e003826c:g:lDMAAOSwabhUYiFc

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Removing broken bolts from exhaust prechamber

In working on my exhaust I broke 2 bolts holding on the heat shield on right side of my exhaust prechamber. Looking for suggestions on how to get the broken stud out, I have sprayed them with penatrating oil and tried getting ahold of them with vise drips and even heated the prechamber with the torch. No success I even tried to drill one of them out and broke extractor. Any suggestions?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts