Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to do this on the CL350 so let's hear what you think is the best or easiest method. I'm currently soaking them with Kroil.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well now that all the Christmas shopping is done I'm back to removing these cushions.
I've tried the heat to 250-300 degree and punch them out w/o success twice. Granted I did have to use the barbecue for a heat source and it's 38 degrees outside but all I really succeeded doing was starting to push the center and rubber out.
So next up is to drill, ran across a thread on another forum that describes using a bit the width of the rubber first, then increasing until the outer sleeve is mostly cut thru. Then a Dremel is used to finish the cut.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
24,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That drill routine I think will work, I only did it to where there was still outer casing intact that you are supposed to Dremel away. Having looked at the pictures again that were posted I decided not to do that since there's a high probability of leaving a deep gouge in the drum bore.
So I went with a 7/8" hole saw that just fits over the inner steel,
GEDC2601.jpg GEDC2602.jpg
then I pried the rubber away from the outer.
GEDC2604.JPG
Then I drove a screwdriver down between the outer steel and drum.
GEDC2599.jpg GEDC2598.jpg
I ground one side of it to round it off so it minimizes the damage to the drum bore.
GEDC2605.JPG
Once I got the screwdriver all the way to the bottom the outer steel tapped out easily with a punch.
GEDC2600.jpg GEDC2597.jpg GEDC2596.jpg
Some 320 grit sandpaper taped to the hole saw cleaned up the bores nicely. Now it's ready to be sent off for Cerakote.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top