Honda Twins banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well now that all the Christmas shopping is done I'm back to removing these cushions.
I've tried the heat to 250-300 degree and punch them out w/o success twice. Granted I did have to use the barbecue for a heat source and it's 38 degrees outside but all I really succeeded doing was starting to push the center and rubber out.
So next up is to drill, ran across a thread on another forum that describes using a bit the width of the rubber first, then increasing until the outer sleeve is mostly cut thru. Then a Dremel is used to finish the cut.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That drill routine I think will work, I only did it to where there was still outer casing intact that you are supposed to Dremel away. Having looked at the pictures again that were posted I decided not to do that since there's a high probability of leaving a deep gouge in the drum bore.
So I went with a 7/8" hole saw that just fits over the inner steel,
Auto part Machine Rotor Machine tool Metal
Tool accessory Machine Metal

then I pried the rubber away from the outer.
Auto part Metal Hardware accessory Brass

Then I drove a screwdriver down between the outer steel and drum.
Auto part Metal Flange Rotor Machine
Auto part Rotor Bearing Hardware accessory Metal

I ground one side of it to round it off so it minimizes the damage to the drum bore.
Auto part Metal Hardware accessory Steel

Once I got the screwdriver all the way to the bottom the outer steel tapped out easily with a punch.
Auto part Hardware accessory Metal
Auto part Metalworking Flange Metal Hardware accessory
Tin can Material property Metal Gas Cylinder

Some 320 grit sandpaper taped to the hole saw cleaned up the bores nicely. Now it's ready to be sent off for Cerakote.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts