Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking my engine out and it's not immediately apparent how to remove the master link. I see the retaining clip on it. Do I just bend that off and get a new one? The manuals just tell you to "remove the chain" but don't tell you how.

thanks

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
A pair of duck-bill pliers is the perfect tool.
Use them to press the open end of the clip on the master link in the same direction as the pins (towards the front of the bike, the same way the chain travels) , it will come right off..........

·
Registered
608 Posts
unless he has one of those full clips then you do this

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
NOTA BENE : ''once a chain clip has been forced out, you shall never re-used it''

do yourself a favor, have some extra available....

I have heard stories about driving chain "opening" at high speed......doesn't look good for the rider.....will most of the time jam the rear wheel.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
As a newbie, this is one thing I struggled with. All of the instructions and descriptions I could find seemed to be written for people who worked with chains a lot and understood how the master link was put together. It took me a while to figure it out for myself.

The clip just pops off the pins. You don't pull it towards you. You have to pry it in the direction the chain travels. Like Bill said, pliers work very well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts