Honda Twins banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CB400T II
Before I do something stupid, how do you get the center stand off the bike??? I want to clean it up and paint it. I replaced the broken side stand today.

Replacing rear brake shoes, how does the sprocket come off the wheel?? I do not need to take the sprocket off to do the brake but I want to clean up some ancient corrosion.

Rear wheel bearings, do the just knock out??? These may seem like stupid questions but if I know the process things will go easier and quicker. My manual is not much help.
Thanks for the help and advice..

·
Registered
460 Posts
You need to remove the brake pedal and the two bolts on the triangle thing bolted over it, undo the brake pedal return spring, then there is a clamp around the center pivot. Loosen that and then pull the pivot to you. Taking it apart is pretty easy. reinstalling it can be a real pita. The center stand return spring will really fight you. When reinstalling the spring I put the C shaped thing back on its hanger with the spring on it and then use a vice grip and a screwdriver to get the spring onto the center stand.

This is probably a poor description but I hope it helps.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Rear sprocket is easy, there's a circlip under the rubber boot/dust cover.
Wheel bearing? from the left (sprocket) side you'll grind a socket or something similar that will just fit the new bearing ID. That is driven into the old bearing which will push the opposite bearing out. Look at #11 in this fiche Western Honda Powersports- Honda Dealers 50 years In AZ Motorcycles ATVs Sales Parts Service & Repair That piece fits into the left bearing as a sleeve. The sleeve prevents you from driving either bearing out with a punch until everything is loosened up.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks HamHock and LDR. Glad I asked. The big springs can be tough to work with. I clamp one end in a vice and bend the spring until I can put pennies between the coils. The pennies lengthen the spring enough that it can be installed fairly easily. I replaced the side stand today using that method on the springs and it went on OK. When you put the side stand down most of the pennies fall out. Washers will work but all I had handy was pennies.

Reactions: workdogz2

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks HamHock and LDR. Glad I asked. The big springs can be tough to work with. I clamp one end in a vice and bend the spring until I can put pennies between the coils. The pennies lengthen the spring enough that it can be installed fairly easily. I replaced the side stand today using that method on the springs and it went on OK. When you put the side stand down most of the pennies fall out. Washers will work but all I had handy was pennies.
Nice idea, too bad I spent all my pennies on Honda parts.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Sometimes with great difficulty, just depends on how well the centre stand pivot pins is corroded into the stand its self.

Cmsnl for the exploded views, as well, as the manual will help.

As to rear wheel bearings, check the exploded views, the centre "distance piece" or "tube" that spaces the bearing inner races, sometimes, can have a "Dam wall" spot welded to the tube, meaning the tube will only come out ONE WAY !

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do I drive the left bearing in to push the right bearing out?? Where does the left beating end up???
I may not remove the bearings, they are smooth and well lubed. The rubber boot/ seal at the sprocket
is damaged, old and crumbling. Is this boot available any where???

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
No, the sleeve is an insert into the left bearing. The ground down socket/extension that just fits in the new bearing w/o sleeve will be too small for the old bearing with sleeve. This is what's known as a bearing driver. You'll use the ground piece to butt against the sleeve and smack it. That drives the other end of the sleeve against the right bearing driving it out. Left bearing will stay in place until the right one is removed and the wheel turned over to where you can use a punch to drive it out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Hamhock, I have a side note/question on the centre stand and rear brake pedal. Does the brake pedal pivot go through the centre stand pivot?

I have a CB400t with no centre stand, my brake pedal is wobbly and loose, and having looked at many schematics I can’t see if the bolt holding the brake pedal fixes to a nut or the centre stand pivot? Any help or pictures would be much appreciated.i am also struggling to work out where the brake switch is mounted to and how the small spring attaches to the brake return spring.

Apologies if there are threads on this as I am new and couldn’t find/work out the forum layout.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards Hen

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did the side stand, brake pedal, center stand a few days ago and I think it goes like this.
The brake pedal and it's bushing is attached to the pin that the center stand pivots on with
one bolt. There is a clamp behind the brake pedal that holda the pivot pin in place.
Loosen the clamp and pull the pin out, towards you from the right side of the bike.
If the pin and center stand are not too rusty the pin pulls out fairly easily. I squirted mine with
PB Blaster and waited overnight and the pin slid out. Pay attention to where the brake light switch
spring is attached. If you do not have a center stand the pivot pin needs to be in place to hold the brake pedal. You may need to tighten the clamp and then tighten the brake pedal bolt. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The brake pedal pivot bolt goes through the brake pedal and bolts into the center stand pivot.

I have the brake light switch spring hooked onto the bottom of the brake pedal return spring.

Here is a pic of the brake light switch. It sits in a hanger that is riveted to the frame.

20180311_155756.jpg

Also, welcome to the forum, we'd appreciate a post in the members introduction area and we love pics.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Damn, while I was out taking a picture old okie beat me to the punch.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry, I did not mean to step on any one. But a sincere thanks for LDR and HamHock for the help
on the rear wheel and the center stand. It went very easy both in and out, with a little help from
this group of experts.

·
Registered
460 Posts
No apology needed, I was only joking. Very happy to hear you were able to get the work done. I don't know much but I try to help out where and when I can.

Reactions: wineguy
1 - 14 of 14 Posts