Honda Twins banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of removing the center stand on my 86 nighthawk to streamline the underside a bit. Is this a mistake?
The bike is lowered in the rear and I may need to modify the length to make it easier to use. I will still need to modify the side stand. I know this is a subjective thing, but is the center stand used a lot? I never had an easy time using center stands, they always seem to be a struggle for me not being that large of a person, 5-7", 165lbs.

·
Registered
37 Posts
personally, i think its a bad idea.

i use my center stand all the time. honestly, once you master how to use it, its pretty easy. i never use my side stand unless, im just hopping off real quick.

on my bike, the center stand also is the rear brake. so that could be a pain, not sure about an 86 nighthawk.

just my 2cents

·
Registered
342 Posts
I use the center stand for all service work, checking oil, changing oil, checking tires and
whatever I do to the bike. It is so nice to have the bike steady and level for servicing.
I turned 80 years old last week and am 5'10" tall and weigh about 170. I can pop any of my
bikes up on the center stand easily. There is a technique to it, brute force is not needed.
There are several discussions here and on line about the ways to get a bike on the main stand.
Yes, the center stand is a necessity for me.

Reactions: zgoldwingman

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the response, I will definitely need to research this more. My lower back is toast from a career in heavy construction so if there is a technique or trick to this, I need to learn and practice it. Shortening the center stand to compensate for the lowered bike should make things a little easier.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Thanks for the response, I will definitely need to research this more. My lower back is toast from a career in heavy construction so if there is a technique or trick to this, I need to learn and practice it. Shortening the center stand to compensate for the lowered bike should make thinks a little easier.
I've never had a use for one, and have removed mine. I use a flat scissor jack from Northern tool if I need to raise one side or the other. Plus it sheds about 20 lbs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Oiling/adjusting the chain and cleaning the rear wheel are easier with a center stand, but unless you modify yours, you'll never get the bike on it with lowered suspension.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, going forward i will definitely need to shorten whatever i use for a stand, the stock units will be too long. for bike maintenance i use a floor jack with enlarged lift surface to keep things stable and to put the bike on it's rolling work table i used the loader and a strap! i'm all about saving my back, believe me.
so with maintenance concerns aside - when you're out for a ride and you stop somewhere, do most riders tend to use the side stand or center stand?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Side stand here.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
The combination of stepping down hard on the lever on the left side of the center stand while also pulling back on the handlebar with my left hand and lifting the grab bar with my right hand makes mine quite east to pop up on the stand. Shortening your stand so it is just long enough to lift the rear wheel off the ground would help and it may be possible to lengthen the lever a bit thus increasing your mechanical advantage.

Other than that I'm curious as to why you would remove it even if you don't use it. Do you think it's gonna make it go faster?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
J-T my thought was to give the bike a cleaner look without the extra hardware hanging, that's all. my need for speed is long gone, Lol. shortening the stroke should make it a lot easier to use for sure.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The 85/86 CB450SC center stand is one of the tallest if not the tallest. I'm using one on my CM because the bike is higher than normal, I extended the original by @1" until I found out about the SC being longer.
It looks like there are 4 center stands for the CM's and SC models. The all of CM400 model is one, all of the CM450 is another, the 82/83 SC and the 85/86 is last. Side stands should match up the same way.
I use the side stand mostly around town and on quick stops travelling. Center stand gets used for overnights and maintenance. When I'm travelling I look over the bike for leaks, loose stuff, etc as well as lubing the chain and checking it.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
It's all personal preference really. I use the side stand generally while out and about, but at home or when parked off the pavement center stand it is. For maintenance it's great, for parking in tight areas its good too, but not all bikes have them for one reason or another. My 250 project may never have one.

The trick for side stand deployment that I remember most was from an old timer over at sohc4.
Take a scrap of 2x4 and cut a sharp angle at one end, use it as a ramp for the rear wheel and back the bike up onto it, with the added ground clearance getting a lowered bike up on the center stand (even with perfect technique) is much easier and can be less painful.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
since there are no stands on the bike at the moment, i'll do some measuring and see how much i need to chop off the center stand, maybe it won't be as obtrusive after shortening. the back of the solo seat will have a hoop around it out of 1" DOM so that will be a nice handle to grab onto and i really don't need to have the back wheel that far off the ground when parked so we'll see how it goes. i'll post some pics when i start the process.
thanks for all the comments.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Ok, a center stand story. Back in the '70s when I learned to ride on a CB350, I was self-taught. I didn't know any riders and there was no internet. I could rock the little 350 up on the stand, but it was a pain. When I bought my brand new XS750, I told the dealer I didn't see how I'd get that heavier, taller bike up. He said, here's the trick. He held the grab rail with both hands and lifted it up. I thanked him and rode off. After thirty miles, I stopped and tried the technique. It almost made it, but then began to topple over to the right. Holding it behind the seat, I could only watch in horror as it crashed into the gravel, breaking off both turn indicators. Talk about a low point. I ended up putting 25K on that road burner, but never put on its center stand. It helped that it was a shafty. Fast forward 35 years and I get back into riding with my current 350. Learned about left hand on bar and right on rear lift. Piece of cake.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts