Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is how I removed a really stuck gasket on the clutch cover. I think it was glued on and nothing else than Paint remover could remove it. I didn't want to scrape it off with a knife since it's so easy to damage the aluminum cover although you can remove most of it with a knife before using paint remover.

Anyway, it's extremely tough to remove an old gasket and this will save you alot of time and thinking without the risk of damaging the engine parts.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Right that stuff, (perhaps better store some ) The modern safety police are trying to have it removed as a breathing hazard, Also a dandy thing is a plane blade or paint roller scraper cleaner, or good straight putty knife with a good straight 70 degree cutting edge, once skilled ya can get under the gaskets (usually) without scarfing the case, the paint scraper with the notch is very good with providing the near parallel straight edge for gasket removal.
possibly butt one end against a cyl. stud, that will allow one to get targeted force working at the opposite end. Caution however, some skill and judgment is required.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I like exacto blades with a larger rounded edge. You need a steady hand but it works well.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Heat has typically worked for me, usually in conjunction with a single edge razor blade or (non-mounted) razor knife blade. As crashoveride said, a steady hand and close attention is advisable. Never thought of the credit card scraper thing. It may work with a warmed gasket to. Of course some spots can be pretty tight and I'm assuming that's what you are using the paint remover on.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It's Dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) - it's non toxic. However you don't wanna get it in your eyes or eat it and it can dry your skin.

I have a steady hand, I was really careful but the glued gasket is so hard so you need force to remove it and the cover also has a texture. Most of the times it worked fine but I did fine cuts. It would have taken days to get it clean but I'm sure not all gaskets are this stubborn or glued.

Heat is a good idea, I saw it on Youtube but I read that paint remover was the same stuff as gasket remover and it is really effective.
This is just one way to do it and I think paint remover is by far the easiest and safest way and it's not expensive.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
I put a razor edge on a gasket scraper. Then finish it with a wire wheel on the bench grinder. Just another way to do it.

Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts