Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just picked up my repainted parts today. Got them sandblasted and painted. However, I noticed that they painted EVERYTHING and didn’t tape off threaded parts of anything. I’m curious if I can just leave it this way or if I should take the time to remove the paint on those parts? Here’s a picture for reference. For example, you can see on the frame they painted the part where the steering stem will go through. Also, the steering stem itself was painted. Kind of annoying but I would take the time to remove the paint if it’s recommended to do so.

1733EA0E-6FA3-481C-B49C-C69105B737B7.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
546 Posts
Remove paint from all threaded or any metal-to-metal surfaces. Use a wire wheel. They generally paint anythin you don’t tape off.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Remove paint from all threaded or any metal-to-metal surfaces. Use a wire wheel. They generally paint anythin you don’t tape off.
Yep. And if you don't you're likely going to run into some electrical issues due to bad grounds.

·
Registered
459 Posts
If you have a tap and die set that might work well to remove the paint.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah I should have taped it off before giving it to them. Oh well now I know for next time.

Yep. And if you don't you're likely going to run into some electrical issues due to bad grounds.
Very good point. Looks like I have some work to do now. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Ive taped off parts and sand blasted them and I dont care how good a job you do you still get media where you dont want it. Ive also used the little plugs they give you for threaded holes when powder coating and they leave edges when removed. Even doing your own you would have some clean up to do so dont be to hard on them.

Bill

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
.. people have NO idea just how much PREP work is involved in a paint job. Sure, Maco will shoot your car for $200.. but that is EXACTLY what your getting.. PAINT ON SURFACE... EVERY SURFACE!!!!
90% prep! Tape, clean, clean, clean.. shoot, clean, clean.. shoot, clean, clean..
If I'm asked to do a paint job as a "favor" .. I will ask for the parts to be stripped, ready for bodywork.. take photos, DRAW on a printed photo as to the design (what color where, so there is NO confusion)... confirm colors, and go from there...
Removing paint from unwanted surfaces is always an afterthought and usually the painter gets blamed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts