Honda Twins banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

The tank on my CB175K3 was leaking slightly even through the JB weld. I decided to remove it and get down to bare metal and have a good look.I found a couple of pinholes and the tank seems otherwise to be quite serviceable. The trouble is that as I chipped away at the JB weld, it dislodged the internal liner from the bottom of the tank.This liner was put on about 15 years ago and I presume was not done correctly as its about half an inch thick, and I need to get it out before I can do anything else.Does anyone have an idea as to how I can do it?

Thankyou.

Graham

·
Registered
2,706 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that Richard.I haven't heard of that product and I checked and they are out of stock. I have been looking on the net, and have found a product called MEK or methyl chloride which should do the job,but apparently its pretty nasty and extreme care is needed.I did try acetone but it did nothing.

Thanks Graham

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Just looked on Ebay UK, and found vendors selling dichloromethane AKA methyl chloride for around 10 UKP a litre.

Considering that the Sealeater stuff cost 30 quid, seems worth a go,

I didn't take any extreme precautions when using the stuff, and I haven't died yet ….

You wouldn't want to get it in your eyes, or on the skin for very long.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have found a place here in Sydney that sells it in one litre containers so i'll order some and give it a go. This should be the last big job to do on this bike,unfortunately I will have to repaint the tank as I have spoilt the paint somewhat, but I should be able to do that.Last week I went to a motorcycle classic restore guy and he wanted $1000 plus to fix the tank,which I am not prepared to pay,so I shall be having a go myself.It's not due for its road worthiness rego inspection until December so I have plenty of time.Once again thanks for your input,will let you know how I get on.
Regards Graham

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello all,

Just an update on removing my fuel tank liner. I bought a litre of MEK, and it appears to be working although very slowly.i'm going to get some more and hope it speeds things up.There is a very gooey gunky mess in there.

Graham

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I tried Acetone Jim, but it didn't do anything,although my liner is not Kreem.

Graham

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Have you tried e-mailling the makers of JB weld? They might have a solution.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I'm wondering if warmer temps may speed up the action? Your winter temps right now may be a bit too cool.
I have heard of using hot compresses and the like to raise parts temps to speed reaction times.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No Alan, I didn't think of that,but it is certainly worth a try.

Thanks, Graham

1 - 13 of 13 Posts