Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard if this can be done?
If so is there anywhere in the UK preferably that can do this, for a resonable cost, or even at all?

I get app 12.7v across the batery when all 6 coils (3 pairs) are working.
The Coils have just been rewound by South Coast Rewinds so I have no worries about them.
There was some insulation breakdown with the original windings.
I feel that I should be seeing 13+v to be safe.
Also on ignition only (just 2 coils) there is not enough voltage to maintain the charge in the battery, so it slowly discharges on a run. I can get a good run, however if I use the starter a few times then I have issues. Fortunately, as standard, the 450 K0 does come equiped with an alternative mode of starting the engine first kick usually ;).

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Nige,
Back on the MSN 450 group this was discussed......It CAN be done, but finding someone with the knowledge, skill, and equipment to do it was the problem.... The consensus was that it is easiest to simply replace the rotor with a good one ....
Since the K0 did not have a regulator, presumably the windings were different from the 5-speeds as well..... Unless you are looking to have a "Concours" restoration, I'd suggest simply replacing both rotor and stator with the available 5-speed parts.....
I have a 5-speed rotor (minus starter clutch) you can have for a "token" amount plus shipping.... Steve

Was that 12.7 reading at idle or at 3000+ revs?..... At idle it is quite adequate, and I'd suspect a defective battery......At revs, not so much....

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Steve

Many thanks for your reply

The 12.7 V was at 3K rpm

What I have done so far.
The Rotor is not the original, which was demagnetised due to the bolts falling out and the starting clutch rattling around enough to make the original owner think the main bearings had gone (I got it for quite a nice discount).
The coils have been rewound recently as mentioned and instead of the original selineum rectifier I have a new Rectifier Regulator fitted.

The wiring was worked out by the manufacturers Electrex World see link below

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/rr2-regu ... 239-0.html

The windings on the 450 are simple single phase in 3 pairs. 1 pair when ignition only is selected, and all 3 pairs when lights are selected.

I have also been advised that all magnets will decay over time, as they try to return to a natural state (entropy I'm reliably informed by my son who has a degree in engineering) or maybe he was refering to me :lol:

If I cant find any other options, I would like to take you up on your kind offer.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Nige,..... Not familiar with that R/R set-up, but any regulator and rectifier reduce voltage somewhat...... What is your "raw" AC output at the alternator with the harness detached? (yellow and white combined/connected and read across to pink at idle and at 3000+)... THAT will tell if it's a bad (weak) alternator or a problem in DC conversion/regulation....... I'd suspect the latter..... A search here should produce others AC results for comparison....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts