Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have the product. Drained. Vinegar'd. Final Rinse I used Dehumidifier Cleaner. It has a portion of Hydro Chloride acid in it. It foams and coat and took the fines out of the tank. My problem is this. The tank has a call it Pipe fitting welded to the bottom extending about 1 1/2 in. It also has a Neoprene or Plastic type of bushing pressed in this pipe. Its there likely to prevent the rusting of the pipe fitting as well to align the shutoff cock/valve. Problem as I see it is I can't remove it. I made an attempt to remove it with a dental pic. Not happening. Anyone done this. You could buy a new Shutoff a number of places but I cannot find that Bushing/insert. I don't want to Red Koat it and have the Pressed in insert damaged by the coating. Any one? 1979 Honda CM 400T

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Photos would help quite a bit.
Is this tank all stock?
Are you talking about the threaded bung that the petcock collar threads onto?

Inside the bung are you seeing this light colored plastic insert?

It may be the factory tank filter.
It's the #3 item:

Best video I can find without searching all day, at about 2:30 it becomes relevant to your bike.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah. i would have posted a pic. saying that. it is the bung as you describe it. Your illustration is perfect. I couldn't find it on the CMS site for some reason. I expected that was what it is. Thanks. I chose to run some wire to its lowest depth. Measuring it it appears to have bottomed out. It also appeared to have a screen at the end tho but it was hard to see with the penlight I was using coupled with a magnifier. You ever pulled it out? It seems to be a bit of an endevour without butchering it. Going to try to source one. If its got a metal or otherwise screen I am sure it will plug. Owned this bike since new. really no problem with the running or the condition of the tank or fuel system to warrant it. Just want to see if it'll last another 50 years. Thanks in advance and take care of yourself.
I contacted Red Coat asking before your reply still not completely sure how it would react. The can says won't stick to plastic. It says to remove plastic parts inside the tank. so its kind of conflicting.
I'll let You/forum know what the results of that mail.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Some come out easily on their own with petcock removal, some seem to stick.
I'd try a lag bolt or an easy-out or even an appropriately sized tap to get purchase on it and try to yank it out.

I don't think it'd be a good idea to coat over it either.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd try a lag bolt or an easy-out or even an appropriately sized tap to get purchase on it and try to yank it out.

My thoughts completely. Put it on hold for the moment. Never heard back from RedKote Canada. Should have contacted R.Kote Us. They were the ones I Mailed when I bought it. Got to get my other bike ready for travel. Another response suggested using an easy out. i think i prefer that method. Maybe to lesson the damage of the surface. Thanks for your input. Be good and Distance bud.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes. Remove. It really didnt make any sense at all to leave it in. I appreciate your help as well as Allan F's . Thanks again and best of luck. today and in future. Distance.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah. i would have posted a pic. saying that. it is the bung as you describe it. Your illustration is perfect. I couldn't find it on the CMS site for some reason. I expected that was what it is. Thanks. I chose to run some wire to its lowest depth. Measuring it it appears to have bottomed out. It also appeared to have a screen at the end tho but it was hard to see with the penlight I was using coupled with a magnifier. You ever pulled it out? It seems to be a bit of an endevour without butchering it. Going to try to source one. If its got a metal or otherwise screen I am sure it will plug. Owned this bike since new. really no problem with the running or the condition of the tank or fuel system to warrant it. Just want to see if it'll last another 50 years. Thanks in advance and take care of yourself.
I contacted Red Coat asking before your reply still not completely sure how it would react. The can says won't stick to plastic. It says to remove plastic parts inside the tank. so its kind of conflicting.

Thanks for your reply. Just returned home after months away. Got her done today. November 13, 2020.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Use a hollow tube and tap it in. My tap was not shutting off i replaced it with a 125cc tap. Worked like a charm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts