Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys,
i'm thinking about putting bigger main jets into my cb200. right now, i've got the stock 88s (along with the 38s for the slow jets). i have a pair of 90s that i'm going to dip and clean up. if i put those on the bike, do i have to also put in bigger slow jets? or will the 90s work ok with the 38s? i haven't made carb modifications before, so i'm not exactly sure what to expect. i'm just hoping bigger main jets will give a little boost in power. i'm not sure going from 88 to 90 will make any difference at all, though. any thoughts, suggestions?
thanks.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Having plugs that indicate a lean (or rich) running condition is the only justification for re-jetting.
You will not realize "... a little boost in power...", unless the bike isn't running right in the first place.
If the bike runs well and the spark plugs have good color, don't mess with it.........you'll probably screw things up.
A CB200 is even "tamer" than a 175, doesn't even put out 20hp - so if you want more power, get a bigger bike.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
of course, on the other hand, i've always wondered why the CL200 called for 35/95 jets rather than 38/88. can anybody explain that to me, just for my own curiosity?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Some, if not most of the "tiny" differences in the CB vs CL tuning are due to the "tighter" bends of the CL pipes causing "differing" flow restriction to the exhaust pulses at different points along the torque curve......Some jetting differences attempt to overcome this...... When equipped with the CL pipes, the engine is still appropriately "rich" at low speeds, but would be lean running CB headers/pipes which "flow" better......
Does that (oversimplified) explaination help?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that explanation is most helpful. make sense to me. thanks for the info!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts