Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie in every sense of the word (other than age). Empty-nester with too much time on my hands so i decided to fill a big hole in my "resume" by learning something about engine mechanics. Thought it would be smart to start small/cheap so I bought a fairly neglected 1980 CM400T. Things are coming along slowly--I've actually been at for 6 months or so-- but I have many questions that I can't find answers to in Clymer manual, online, or local repair shop.

Found this forum and I could immediately tell that this community could be very helpful.

So first question;i had to replace cylinder and valve head gasket, all went well. I'm reassembling but I had trouble getting cam chain on to sprocket. I found and read thru various discussions online about cam chains seeming to be too short, I ended up very confused. I finally managed to get chain back on and sprocket bolted back on to cam while keeping everything in proper alignment; "T" mark on alternator aligned with pointer on crankcase, notch at end of cam shaft vertical, sprocket marks horizontal. That all said, it looks like cam shaft notch is just a shade less than vertical. Being a newbie with limited understanding of timing issue--while knowing enough that timing setup is critical--I'm hesitant to bolt things down until I know for sure that I'm not one chain link (or sprocket tooth) off. Is there someway to definitively know that chain/sprocket/cam are back together properly?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Great to see another 400 series here. Got any pics of it?

You will need a proper Honda Service manual. PM sent.

When the flywheel mark is aligned with the notch on the case, and the cam sprocket is horizontally aligned with the mating surface of the head, it is correctly timed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.