Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my VFR broke down a few weeks ago. Had some melted wires on the starter relay so I started there. Replaced it, no change. After more reading and thinking the R/R is most likely the culprit. Those ones from Rick are a bit much to spend now and a cheap chinese one does not seem like a real solution. So I went digging into my parts bins and came out with an R/R for a VF500F.

The wiring is minorly different

VFR750:

YELLOW
YELLOW
YELLOW
RED/WHITE
GREEN

VF500F:
YELLOW
YELLOW
YELLOW
RED/WHITE
GREEN
BLACK

After checking the diagram, the extra black wire is for the fuel pump relay.

So my question is this, is there any reason that this R/R won't work? I figure I'll just cap off the black wire.

Thanks for the guidance.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
If the diagram shows that the wires are identical and perform the same function then its likely to work. Clearly you need to be sure that they are the same though.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are different parts, I know that much. It seems a R/R is pretty universal though. I was mostly checking in with you guys incase it was a bad idea.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
well, the function is universal but the specs on them, as it relates to the different charging systems, probably aren't so much... the part numbers are different

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the VFR is running again. I noticed right off the hop that my new (used) R/R seemed to be a little warm. Now I honestly don't have a clue how hot one of those should normally be, but after maybe 2-3 minutes it felt like it was about 130ish. I think a new, good quality battery (mine won't hold charge now) and a new, good quality R/R will be the ticket for peace of mind.

Thanks, Tom.

Thanks, Nigel (everytime I see your handle and locale I think of The Monza Gorilla, lol).

Reactions: ancientdad

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That looks like a solid option, I'll keep it in mind when it comes time. Sonreir, any idea what a normal operating temp should be on an R/R?

·
Registered
77 Posts
yeah those are known weak spot on VFR's (probably the only weak spot) If your current battery is smoked, then it will certainly
put more of strain on the system and heat up the RR

1 - 9 of 9 Posts