Honda Twins banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I've been having issues with my battery running out of juice when using the starter so got the tester out and traced back to a poor ground connection. Anyway, this has lead me to take voltage readings at the battery whilst the engine is running and it would appear that it is overcharging.

When idling it flicks over 13V, but when the revs are increased up 3k+ the voltage readings go beyond 18V and jump about rapidly.

The rev and reg have been replaced with a r/r combo unit like the type sold by Common Motors. The red, yellow and pink wires are connected via a block straight to the stator, and the black wire is connected to the battery.

I haven't yet disconnected the black wire and tested it on its own. I'll try and do that next, but can't think of any other test that may diagnose the cause.

I guess as it has a reg built in that your standard rectifier resistance tests aren't applicable, but is there any other test I can do to establish what's happening? Is this just that the combo reg/rev needs replacing?

The bike is new to me so I have no history on the rec/reg and when it got replaced but it looks fairly new.

Thanks!

·
Registered
342 Posts
IIRC, the black wire goes to the positive battery terminal. The black wire reads the battery condition
and tells the RR how much charge the battery needs. Also check and be sure the connector between
the stator and the RR is good. How good is the battery???

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Old Okie, but I repeated the test again with another meter and got perfect results sonthink my multimeter is at fault. A loose connection inside somewhere maybe? Thanks again though. Much appreciated.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts