Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I picked up a '72 CL/CB350 for sale locally, I also got a "parts" bike - a '68 CL350 (by the serial numbers, anyway).
The guy I bought it from thought the '72 & the '68 were pretty much parts interchangeable, but I found that it wasn't exactly so ;)

So, the '68 isn't in that great of shape, but it seems to have potential:
  • Turns over but doesn't fire,
    lights work,
    no leaks I've seen,
    and only has 1600 miles on the odometer.
    Chrome doesn't look to bad at all
    Gas tank rusty on the inside, but looks good on the outside

Now for the bad:
  • The shifting is very sticky and hard to shift, but does shift.
    Needs new points and possibly coils. (no problem really)
    New handlebar & some wiring
    Carbs are shot - diaphragms gone, posts that hold the float snapped off when trying to remove float pin, clogged up
    seat recovered

I know there's probably a million reasons to do either but...Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Red

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Red,
While EACH individual part is not always interchangable (although most are), most assemblys (as units) are completely swapable..... (the entire front ends will swap, the complete engines will swap, the wheels would swap, the frames would....etc....) (Are you restoring or building to just ride?)
My suggestion is to build on whichever frame is titled......If you didn't get a title, get one titled FIRST.... otherwise, you are investing in a bike somebody else still owns, and could decide they still want (after you have fixed it up).... :eek:
Personally, I'd hope to build the '68....engine is free (what's the compression?) and its low mileage....The "sticky" clutch and shifting are normal after 'sitting' and easily remedied...... :D Steve

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would consider the '68, at least for the motor and pipes. The early CB/CL motors have the high rev cam, 10,500 vice 9,200 on the later bikes. Maybe not a huge deal, but they are fun bikes to rev up.

As for parts inetrchanging, most assemblies will swap over as mentioned above. The parts that are different (CB to CL) are things like the driver's footrest bracket, kick starter, left rear passenger peg, etc. because of the high pipes vurses low pipes. The seat and tank are different proportions too. They can be swapped out, but as a pair to make them fit together.

I really like the seemed tanks on the early 350s a lot better than the rounder tanks on the later bikes, but obviously that is just taste...or lack of taste :D

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
What color is the tank? I'm looking for the tank badges from an orange tank that are in good condition.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
What color is the tank? I'm looking for the tank badges from an orange tank that are in good condition if you want to sell them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MNellis said:
What color is the tank? I'm looking for the tank badges from an orange tank that are in good condition if you want to sell them.
Black & purple :D Sorry - the '68 had no badges. I think the PO might have sold them.

Cheers,
Red

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Mike.... What is the part number on those?...I have a couple sets from orange 175's....They MAY be the same wings....

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
66Sprint said:
Mike.... What is the part number on those?...I have a couple sets from orange 175's....They MAY be the same wings....
Thanks Steve, but I don't need the wings, I need the HONDA badge. On the 68 and early '69's they matched the white color of the tank as you can see here. All the other years were different and and don't work.

You can see what I mean here. This right side is in good condition but the left side is scratched up pretty bad when the bike fell on it's left side when I was bringing it home on the trailer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts