Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so this bike didn't have any major issues after I did some basic work, (chain, sprockets, oil, brake fluid, master cylinder, brake shoes) for a clean looking bike, it's actually pretty dirty and it seems that most of the rubber is not in great shape.

IMG_20180224_103333.jpg

IMG_20180313_151934.jpg
(crank case after I scraped out the deposits but before I cleaned it)

Last weekend I decided to remove the fuel tank so I could easily replace the vacuum hoses (in an attempt to ferret out a gas build up in the airbox) and I pulled the cylinder head cover to wipe it down and check on that gasket (hard and cracking, replacement otw). Well the left side bolt came out fine, right side cylinder head cover bolt snapped (Another lesson learned). Now I'm all about figuring it out myself, but bolt extraction like this seems it's best left to the pros.

IMG_20180503_073430.jpg

As I've already done enough damage, my next step is to remove the camshaft holder but I cannot get a single one of these cylinder bolts to budge. Torque spec is 22-24 ft/lbs and figured I should ask for advice/tips to get these suckers out so I can get the camshaft holder bolt extracted. Obviously I now live in fear of snapping off another bolt and don't want to orangutan anything.

Much appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Why are you wanting to remove all the head bolts? If you do, you will need to replace the head gasket and the cylinder base gasket. Those cam cover bolts easily break when over tightened, but, I've never seen one break while removing. If you use a 'prick' punch and gently tap (counter clockwise) around the outer edge of the broken piece of the cam cover bolt, you should be able to walk the broken piece out. Those bolts normally don't seize in the hole since they are in an oily environment all the time. If you go at it as a gorilla, you may make it worse, so, be gentle and if unsure, ask somebody that has done this to help.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Also, if the prick punch doesn't walk the bolt out you can use a left hand drill bit running the drill in Reverse, vibration and heat will usually make it come right out. I suspect that the PO overtightened the bolt enough to crack it and you happened to be the next lucky person to touch it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lost_Cause, dtsmj8dan, & longdistancerider, thank you for the tricks; after some gentle persuasion, I was able to walk that little guy out of there without a problem.

Hoping that some new vacuum hose will resolve my airbox gas build up issue, (the hose from the head cover was cracked and the fuel line from the petcock was holding but so fused to the carb that I had to cut it off) you may have to tilt your head or screen a little bit, but I've attached some more photos as longdistancerider didn't believe me earlier when I posted about this. :D

Slightly darker wet area on leftmost side of left carb appears to be seeping

IMG_20180424_120557.jpg

Gas buildup in separator, you can also see where that seepage is coming down from the left carb (the little dark wet area in the upper right corner)

IMG_20180424_120802.jpg

It's been pretty fairly slow and I'm not overly concerned about it, but it's on the list.

·
Registered
805 Posts
From what I've read/heard that hose is the crankcase breather, it collects any vapors produced in the crankcase during normal engine operation (think small amounts of water vapour, volatile stuff from oil etc.) and deposits them into the airbox preventing them from going straight into the environment (some nasty stuff is in oil and gas).

It's supposed to produce a mixture of stuff, but if you have straight up gas in the airbox something else weird is going on. Smell your oil for gas as well, if there's gas in the airbox it's likely you've got gas in the oil and that is bad news and you should change it before running the bike again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts