Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having charging issues on my 72 cl350. I'm crap with anything electrical, so a mate has had a quick look. He thinks the stator has lost its magnetism, and needs reflashing/remagnetising.

So, in the UK, does anyone know people that do this ? All I can seem to find is having the windings rewound, rather than the magneto actually redone.

Anyone shed any light on this please. The bike is amazing except for the fact the charging system puts less in than it's using, so I can use the bike, but eventually it will run out of electric and die.

I will possibly, long term, go for a Charlie's or pamco, but short term, I just want to try and get it usable.

Many thanks

Paul

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts
I think you friend may be mistaken, have you removed the stator cover and tested the rotor for magnetism? The reason you can only find information on replacing the stator windings is because that is one cause of charging problems.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you friend may be mistaken, have you removed the stator cover and tested the rotor for magnetism? The reason you can only find information on replacing the stator windings is because that is one cause of charging problems.
He builds old bikes so is pretty clued up.
We have tested stator output and whatever we do, it's less than 12.5v, but it tests out fine on windings, hence the reason for his theory of loss of magnetism on the magneto

·
Registered
342 Posts
Well, I have had women lose their "magnetism" but never a stator. LOL....
Maybe that is a different magnetism????

Reactions: ickle pob

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
Have you tested the actual AC output from the stator while the bike is running? Like unplug that connection and using a multi-meter set to AC? should read 13-15 volts at idle on the from Pink-yellow and Pink-white. Should do somewhere around 45-50 volts at 3k.

How's the battery? Has it been load tested as well? They don't take too well to being run flat a time or two.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you tested the actual AC output from the stator while the bike is running? Like unplug that connection and using a multi-meter set to AC? should read 13-15 volts at idle on the from Pink-yellow and Pink-white. Should do somewhere around 45-50 volts at 3k.

How's the battery? Has it been load tested as well? They don't take too well to being run flat a time or two.
Brand new battery

Will do the other tests.

I think I'm going to go for a complete modern electrical upgrade over winter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts