Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

My first Honda so I'm a N00b. The PO had purchased this from his father-in-law who apparently dabbled in motorbikes and had installed the CB headers and ugly aftermarket pipes. Was ridden in 07 and 08. When he needed better tires he acquired spares from a 350 and was gifted with the rims, hubs, and the speedo and tach.

I want to learn a bit about Honda twins so this is just a winter project. I don't want to do a full museum resto, nor cafe or bobber it. Just catch it up on maintenance, make it safe and sound, shine the shiny bits, paint the black bits, add 2 period mirrors, then make it purr. I can't wait to test ride it, and the Ozark mountains are full of twistys.

Right now, she's hangin' in the ScoottaaShack like a gutted deer. Frame is properly cleaned, derusted and has round one of Rustoleum primer applied. We have nice weather here this week, so in a few days, I'll have a beautiful shiny black frame sitting on the centerstand. Then everything I've bagged and tagged in the last two weeks will be inspected, cleaned and reinstalled. Motor, carbies, tank and seat get special attention. Full details of this adventure (and other related ramblings) are available on http://rufusswan.wordpress.com/ but I'll happily post regular updates and serious questions here.

The top plate of the fork mount is broken. I guess I can get one from Bike Boneyard, but have no idea what other models/years might fit.

The kickstart lever is missing. Is there a conflict between the CL lever and CB pipes?

The side covers. Are they purely cosmetic? or are they required to provide a dead air space for the air intake port?

Left mirror mount is broken but that is truly minor at this point. All else looks original and unmolested. PO says the 8,700 miles on the clock is accurate so I have hope for this bike.

The tank, must I repaint or can I strip it and polish the raw metal?

Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
First, answers,...Then suggestions....
The top "triple tree" that is broken ... 74 was the only year of production for the CL model.... Part number is 53251-453-000.... Since this part number is listed as a replacement for the NLA CB bridge, a CB one should fit the CL as well.... No others that I know of......
CB and CL kick-levers are identical....
The side-panels are MOSTLY cosmetic, but do offer some rain protection.... You can leave the air-cleaners as-is should you so choose......
You CAN strip the tank, but it is steel, so it WILL rapidly rust without a protective coating......

Suggestions..... Get it running/riding first...then consider the final outcome you want...
That 350 front wheel has much more efficient brakes than the 200 wheel.....However, until you are ready and knowledgeable enough to adapt it, I'd run the stocker....
It can be done, I've even managed to install a 350 wheel on my 90 cc Honda...Just takes careful measuring, planning, and some machining of spacers....(and a lot of work in my case)....
Enjoy the project!..... :D Steve

·
Registered
210 Posts
If you decide at some time to remove the hoop/hand rail at the rear of the seat I'm looking for one for my CL175, I'd be happy to buy it from you.

·
Registered
210 Posts
66Sprint said:
The top "triple tree" that is broken ... 74 was the only year of production for the CL model.... Part number is 53251-453-000.... Since this part number is listed as a replacement for the NLA CB bridge, a CB one should fit the CL as well.... No others that I know of......
Steve
This part has been superseded by 53230-453-305 just bought a new one for my CL175 from David Silver Spares here in the UK for £25 (approx $41) + tax + shipping he has 2 left in stock, can't recommend him enough for spares.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
malcolmgb said:
If you decide at some time to remove the hoop/hand rail at the rear of the seat I'm looking for one for my CL175, I'd be happy to buy it from you.
Malcomb,

I have a bridge, left handlebar switch, and kick lever coming from Bike Boneyard. They may have the hand rail there too. I also saw one on Ebay yesterday too, pretty cheap if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
210 Posts
[quote="rufusswanThey may have the hand rail there too. I also saw one on Ebay yesterday too, pretty cheap if I remember correctly.[/quote]

The only one I can see on eBay is for a CB350G if you have the eBay item number I would appreciate it.
I have tried the Bike Boneyard before but had no luck with a reply both by email and telephone, if you speak to her again would you mind asking the question for me please.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thanks for that rufusswan just what I was looking for but the chrome doesn't look as good as the description and his shipping cost looks excessive. Will think about it and keep looking, thanks again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts