Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried posting this and didn't go through, so if it's a repeat then sorry about that. Anyway, on my 1969 CL350 the battery charges good but drains down after a couple days sitting. I tested the rectifier with the diode function on my multimeter. All wires checked good except the green to yellow, which read "1" in both directions. I verified this by using a test lamp and battery and there was no light, or continuity, in either direction. So it looks like a bad rectifier. MY QUESTION IS THIS: if that diode is not flowing in either direction, where the heck is the current draining to? I could understand if it improperly flowed both directions. Also, should you just check wire to wire, or wire to ground (mounting stud) as well? Thanks a lot for any insight on this.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
The "1" on the meter means there IS continuity in both directions (@1 X ohm scale resistance)..... an "open" would show infinate resistance (I) ..... A direct yellow (AC) to green (DC ground) connection shunts at least 50% of your incoming charge and directly "shorts" it to ground.....An open prevents (the opposite directionality) 50% of the incoming charge from reaching the battery.... Either way, you are down by at least half..... read every wire to every other wire (Green is the same as the chassis ground)... each "pair" should only read in one probe directionality....

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I get the "1" reading on the diode check setting, not on the resistance setting. And if I put a battery and test light in series, I get no light on that yellow/green leg. That's why I thought there was no continuity. To double check, I can try it using resistance (ohms) in both directions, but what scale do I use? Please bear with me, I'm really trying to understand this. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Hi A diode is a device that will allow electrical flow in one direction only. In the other direction it acts as an off switch and does not allow current to flow. This is the reason that they are used to make a rectifier. The diodes are connected to allow the AC to flow only one way. (which is when it is "correctly" oriented with the DC flow... The "reversed" AC pulse is stopped, so in effect you have DC voltage)*
Does this help any?

* (Mod explainitory extrapolation....LOL...Steve)

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Pick a scale.... Open will show as "I" (Infinate) regardless and any numerical reading (including 0) would indicate continuity........ I usually put it on the "lowest" (200 ohms on my meter) scale, but it doesn't really matter, You aren't looking for specific readings, just any reading... Should be "I" in one direction, something (any number)with the probes reversed....

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
Thanks Steve I should have added that. I was thinking aboudrawing a diagram but I dont have your artistic tallent lol

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
LOL...... :lol: (but not too bad for 5 minutes work....)

·
Registered
8,867 Posts
May have been quick but the diagram was excelent in explaining the circuit. Thank goodness for those art lessons lol

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the help Steve, and you other guys as well. I have verified my rectifier is shot, so today I went and picked up a Radio Shack rectifier to get me going for now. Just wanted to make sure when I wire it that the pink and yellow wires can go to either of the AC terminals. And obviously red to + and green to -. Thanks a lot.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Yes, the positions of the pink and yellow connections are interchangable...as long as they go to the AC connections....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts