Honda Twins banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure what the deal is. I put a gel battery in and accidently hooked it up backwards for 1 second. Seemed fine 2 days ago. I started to do some charging system diagnostics. Bike was running and I tested the AC from the stator and got 30+ AC volts. Tested with the rectifer unplugged at the battery and everything seemed ok.

Shut bike off and noticed the plug wires to the rectifier were getting hot. Now I have to leave it unplugged even with the ignition off or the wires will burn up.

Any ideas? Bike still starts up fine.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well thats fine as long as I know what the problem is. Does it mean I fried the diodes inside allowing current just to "go". ?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Yep, the diodes no longer are one directional, and flow whenever hooked into the circuit....You need a new rectifier.....

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is there an aftermarket replacement or some jobber I can use?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd also like to say how much I really appreciate this forum even though I just signed up today. I'm a mechanical guy and don't know much about the elecrical side of things.

Here's a shot of the bike.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
I get mine at Radioshack, but there are several suppliers online that will have them ready to plug in....

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I figured since I was down i'd do the old headgasket routine.
The guy who sold me the bike put new cam chain tensioners in thank god.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts