Honda Twins banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This 1968 CL 350 is the first 4 stroke I've ever owned or worked on, engine is rebuilt and installed I do not even own a manual yet but one is on the way, what weight and type engine oil are you guys using in these twins. Thanks

·
Registered
625 Posts
There are a TON of threads on this.
10w 40. Zinc additive is recommended. Redline makes good oil, Brad Penn etc...

Or just regular 10 40. Change it regularly and keep it clean. Should be fine..

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Modern automotive oils may contain "friction reducers" which are not compatible with our wet clutches. You need an oil which includes an API rating of SN (Rotella diesel oil qualifies). Viscosity should be as specified in your service manual (that is an authentic Honda service manual you are getting, right?).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Modern automotive oils may contain "friction reducers" which are not compatible with our wet clutches. You need an oil which includes an API rating of SN (Rotella diesel oil qualifies). Viscosity should be as specified in your service manual (that is an authentic Honda service manual you are getting, right?).
No the manual I have coming is not an authentic honda service manual. thanks

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
In that case it would make a good place mat to keep the one Tom provided the link for from getting dirty.

Haynes, Clymer, etc are not acceptable substitutes.

·
Registered
79 Posts
A safe alternative to a cycle-specific oil is a diesel oil like Rotella. Don't use a current auto oil, as they lack adequate amount of additives that prevent damage to solid (non-roller) valvetrains like most cycle have. "Friction Modifiers" are only present in auto oils of 30-grade and less - so that's not the concern.

Diesel oils still have adequate amounts of ZDDP, and are safe to use - plus they are generally heavy duty and inexpensive.

There are a couple good choices in Rotella 40-grade oils. For warm/hot weather the standard 15W-40 is good. For colder weather the synthetic 5W-40 T6 is good - but it is also fine in hot weather.

Rotella also has 30-grade oils if that's recommended. T5 10W-30 synthetic blend is a good choice in that case.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
In a brief run thru the FSM I don't find the actual recommended oil weight. The CB350 K0 owners manual specifies 10-30W.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
On the older twins like the 450 and 350, the oil weight was shown on the top of the dipstick. I never paid much attention to it previously, but my CB350K1 says 10W-30 on the dipstick and the CL350K3 I just bought for a parts bike says 10W-40 on the stick

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I never paid attention to the dipstick before. My K2, K3 and K4 engines say 10-40, the K1 doesn't have a dipstick so I don't know.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I wonder if the CB350K1 was 10W-30 because it wasn't intended for "off-road" use and the CL "was" - or if they changed it across the board after the K1 models

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
whatever oil you choose, make sure it has the JASO-MA, JASO-MA1 or JASO-MA2 rating

Reactions: J-T

·
Registered
79 Posts
whatever oil you choose, make sure it has the JASO-MA, JASO-MA1 or JASO-MA2 rating
Rotella T6 5W-40 is JASO MA2 Certified. Not sure if all Rotella multigrade oils are certified, but all share the same additive package I was told by a Shell Tech Rep, and are safe to use in a cycle engine with a wet clutch.

The straight-grade Rotella oils have a different additive package, but not typically used in our application anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Shell Rotella. Been running the conventional 15w-40 for years. Good oil for these bikes, and affordable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts