Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ordered an aftermarket spoke kit or a kit from any of the e-bay sellers? I know Buchannans probably has them. I am looking for other recommendations and wondering about the quality and the fit. Any comments, pro or con, are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
RMCrump1 said:
Has anyone ordered an aftermarket spoke kit or a kit from any of the e-bay sellers? I know Buchannans probably has them. I am looking for other recommendations and wondering about the quality and the fit. Any comments, pro or con, are appreciated.
I bought a set off ebay from one of the Taiwan sellers. Delivery was prompt and the spokes are shiny chrome. The nipples are gold and the spokes fit fine. They are not the quality of the originals but I'm happy especially given the price.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Mike. I was thinking of going with the E-Bay spokes as well but wanted to be sure there were no big issues with them.
Richard

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
RMCrump1 said:
Thanks for the reply Mike. I was thinking of going with the E-Bay spokes as well but wanted to be sure there were no big issues with them.
Richard
I forgot to mention some more detail. The original spokes have a larger diameter where they go through the hub then taper down to the final size. These replacements do not have that larger size where it goes through the hub. The spoke seems to fit fine when I laced mine up but there is a difference.

The spokes I removed from my bike were not in terrible condition and I'm not sure if you're doing a complete restoration or just trying to fix up a badly corroded bike, but if you want, you can my old front and rear spokes for the cost of shipping. I'm getting ready to toss them anyway. I'll give you first shot then post something up for anyone else that might be interested.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I've had some spokes for an SL350 K0 from Taiwan. I've also had kits from David Silver's for the CB450.

You need to be a bit careful when ordering from Taiwan - and ask a lot of questions if you have any doubts whatsoever. Reading Mike's post, I think what he's trying to say is the Taiwan spokes are the same diameter along their length; they're not butted like the originals (thinner in the middle and thicker at the ends). The nipples are also different shapes - they're more like the spokes on Harley wheels.

My point about asking questions comes from a not-so-clever experience I had when trying to order rims from Taiwan. The seller advertised K0 rims, but when processing the order I found he had made a number of assumptions about the wheel sizes, based on what the locals fit to their bikes.

Anyways, back to the spokes. Others experiences may differ, but I've found the 350 Taiwan spokes are at least 5mm too long. I'm still in the process of truing the wheels, so I've not yet worked out precisely how I'm gonna cut them down, but that's not a job I'm looking forward to. Any/all tips greatly appreciated.

Silver's do competitively priced aftermarket kits for the 450 and the 750 (IIRC, the 750 rear wheel spokes are the same length/size as the 450 rear). They're pretty much exact copies of the originals - butted, the right length and with the right shape/size nipples. They're not chromed, but then, neither were the originals.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
68 Posts
the-chauffeur said:
Anyways, back to the spokes. Others experiences may differ, but I've found the 350 Taiwan spokes are at least 5mm too long. I'm still in the process of truing the wheels, so I've not yet worked out precisely how I'm gonna cut them down, but that's not a job I'm looking forward to. Any/all tips greatly appreciated.

Chauffer, RE your long spokes. The best way, and the way I would go about, cutting down your spokes would be to try and borrow some time on a small tool room lathe or even a table top shop lathe. You would want one with a R8 style collet style to hold the small diameter properly.

It would take all of 15 minutes to set up the collet, stop, and tool for the job and another 10 or 15 minutes to cut them all to length. If you were US based I would do it for you but shipping across the pond back and forth would be a real pain $$$.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts