Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all- doing things a bit backwards here, intro post following a somewhat "tech" question, but oh well.

Recently picked up this bike, only has 9800 miles, seems to be in decent condition, aside from a couple cosmetic concerns. I've been riding for several years now and my wife decided to give it a go. After passing the PA safety course a year ago she is now licensed. We started with a '75 Kawasaki 400, though she couldn't master the clutch. Found this little Hondamatic on Craigslist for the right price, so I figured we'd give it a go.

Here is how she started
IMG_0614.JPG

IMG_0615.JPG

First issue I had was the right front blinker was inop, assumed it was just a bulb. Of course not. The most time consuming issue so far was the completely crusted out JIS screws holding the lens on. Trying to get the (already chewed up and rusty) screws out without damaging the lens was fun. Got lucky and found matching replacement phillips screws at Ace. Turned out the crusted screws were just the tip of the iceberg. The actual bulb (though still working) had fused with the housing inside. I sanded it down after getting the bulb out, let it sit in Metal Rescue overnight and fortunately the grounding issue was solved- blinker operating as designed.

After that I wanted to start going through everything to make sure no hidden issues were there. Discovered the chain and rear sprocket need attention. Also discovered a bit of an oil seep around the shift shaft (just picked up a new seal for this). Turns out the ends of the pipes have more or less deteriorated in the muffler/ cross chamber (that'll be the next project).

The wife wasn't too thrilled when she came home and her "new motorcycle" looked like this:

IMG_0702.JPG

IMG_0700.JPG

Anyway, been lurking around the site for a bit trying to get my ducks in a row on this bike, nice to join up as a member now.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I haven't been able to see any pictures on here for awhile.But I'll guess the bike is in pretty good shape. You'll need a proper factory service manual for reference. PM sent.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the value of a good FSM. I've got them for my other bikes, a bit harder to find for the 40yr old bike!

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Great to see another 400 series here. Need some good pics instead of links, though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts