Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a great summer working on the cb450 that I bought out of long time storage I'm second guessing going any further with it.
Found a reputable shop locally who's willing to take it on and I hate giving up on it. But....
At what point do I just decide to move on or part it out?
Engine needs the top end done because of low compression. In the end it's probably going to cost $2000 to do it right. Not sure having 4-5 grand into it at this time makes sense..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
After a great summer working on the cb450 that I bought out of long time storage I'm second guessing going any further with it.
Found a reputable shop locally who's willing to take it on and I hate giving up on it. But....
At what point do I just decide to move on or part it out?
Engine needs the top end done because of low compression. In the end it's probably going to cost $2000 to do it right. Not sure having 4-5 grand into it at this time makes sense..

$2000 - where the [email protected]!! do you live??
That's a little excessive, I think, unless every part in the top end needs replacing.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
low compression because of worn rings or something else?

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
And yeah... You could find a used and running engine for much cheaper than that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dohc, price is on the high side. The quote is for a complete teardown. Splitting the cases and powdercoating everything that can't be polished. Includes new piston and rings with new valve guides some porting.
I'm thinking it should have a new timing chain with followers ect.
It probably just needs rings but I'd hate to get it all back together and have something else go and loose another summer

1 - 7 of 7 Posts