Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm sure this has all been covered before, but if we could do it again that would be awesome.

Took apart my 74 CB360, got new pistons, bored out cylnder. Cam Chain tensioner was good (I put the new one I bought in, but have an updated one thats got plenty of life left if someone wants it). I took apart the bottom end, but just looked at it and put it back together.

Put the whole thing back together following every step in the service manual. Quadruple checked the cam chain timing. Used a torque wrench on everything. Can't think of anything I messed up.

When I tried to start it it only seems to want to back fire. I didn't want to keep kicking it over and over cause it didn't seem right. I went through the whole tune up procedure. Cam chain set, valves set, timing set. Plugs gapped. Didn't disect the carbs, but opened the bottome and the jets were all clean.

I have no idea where to go from here any help/ ideas would be awesome. Please ask any and all questions even if they seem obvious. I'm new at this so I could have missed anything.

Thanks guys.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
IS the advance unit 'stuck" open (fully advanced) or is it possible you have the center of it (or the whole unit) on 180 degrees off?... You MUST be timed on the compression stroke (left intake valve closes about 1/2 crank turn before left point opens)

·
Registered
703 Posts
I know it's stupid but check to see if your petcock is on and that you have fuel. Also the kill switch make sure its set to run. We've all done it. Check to see if the coils are wired right.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
To check if you re-installed the cam/advancer 180 degrees off, just switch the plugs wire over.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Points are 90 degrees apart.... cam turns 180 when crank turns 360.... You could be in the "unused" 270 degree arc of the cam.......Swap the coil wires, not the plug wires...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had the wires backwards on the ignition coils. Everything was great, and right on time except hapening on the wrong side. Ha.

Thanks for the help guys.

If anyone wants the updated tensioner let me know. It was the one that was in my bike, and has some faint wear on the blade, but is the updated recall version. I bought one cause my bike didn't have the marks saying it was done, but it was. Send me an e mail at [email protected] for a faster response.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts