Honda Twins banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

· Registered
1986 Honda Rebel 45
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
The bike made the noise with the other exhaust and now with the stock exhaust back on. The only exhaust I see come out of the pipes are at the bottom where the I guess drain holes are.

I do have a strobe light. I will have to see if it still works. I already have the t marked in white.
I could do this and take a slow motion with the iPhone I have. That’s a good idea.
Yes I have a test tank. I can take off the valve cover tomorrow and check
I will also check the right side. I’m guessing this will get messy?

Do you say the engine knock was noisey more at the bottom of the engine ? Yes. But sound the same from bottom and the top. I will take a video of the right exhaust rocker also. I’ll get the video tomorrow Thank you for all this. I really appreciate it! I know it takes a while to type all this out!

· Registered
1986 Honda Rebel 45
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
I just tried the timing light. Problem is my light has a adjuster that can advance timing from 0degree to to 60 degrees. The knob goes below 0 so I don’t know if it’s actually on 0 when the knob is at zero. From what I can see if I adjust the knob to 21 degrees The t on the flywheel lines up with the mark on the case. If I rev it up the t does not line up with the mark on the case at all. Even when I adjust the knob either way. The T (white mark shows on the light at a revved up speed about 1 1/2 inch to the right of the mark on the case. I also recorded a slo motion vid of the timing light at idle (set at the 20 degrees on the knob again not sure if the knob is correct). With the exhaust quiet the knocking happens from what I can is at tdc when the white mark is at the mark on the case

41 - 43 of 43 Posts