Honda Twins banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

Quick note first: my apologies for the botched title! I'm talking about the CL77 with a 305cc displacement, not some made up CL305. Oops.

As this is my first post here, I'll give a quick introduction, but don't worry - I'll get to the bike in a minute. My name is Jonas; I'm a first-year student at Wesleyan University. Last year, I did a pretty serious restoration of a nice little CB350, drawing heavily from the well of knowledge that is this forum and website (for which I thank you all, retroactively).

However, since wrapping up that build, I've been seriously aching to get working again (all that academic stuff can get tiresome), and so after some Craigslist surfing, I came across a 1965 CL305 which immediately grabbed my heart. Actually, as I write this, I'm realizing that I'm talking about the bike that is the Honda Twins.net logo, in the upper left hand corner, right down to the paint scheme! The owner says it's in pretty good shape - I guess the frame has been recently powder coated. Comes with two spare wheels and is only missing some cables and bolts. He says the motor turns, but it's currently in a box, which seems to indicate some trouble.

I'm planning on visiting it soon, but since it's two hours away from me, I figured I should go in with some knowledge about the bike, particularly regarding the price. What is a reasonable price for one of these? It's listed at $1500, but he's offered to drop it down to $1200 if I'll be restoring and riding it. Still, is this too much? Unfortunately, I don't have much knowledge around these classics. Besides that, is there anything I should be looking for? I'll be keeping an eye out for rust on the frame and missing parts, but anything else?

Here is the CL post: 1965 Honda 305

Thank you all so much. Your help is greatly appreciated.

~Jonas

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
that's not a bad price for a good CL77. parts are a good bit more expensive and time consuming to run down for the CL77 vs the 350 you did previously. some of the CL77 bits are becoming very rare...chain guards, gauges, etc. make sure you get any parts from the guy that he may have taken off as getting replacements will be your biggest challenge

1 - 2 of 2 Posts