Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm trying to remove my rear wheel on my 1973 CL350 so I can get the tires changed and replace the rear brake. I took off the axel nut and loosed the tensioners but I can't get the axel out. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
If it hasn't been out for quite a while, it might just have a little surface rust on the axle itself inside where no spacers or grease is covering it... you can screw the axle nut on backwards a few threads (castle inward) to give yourself a flat surface on which to carefully tap the axle with a hammer to get it moving. Once it's out, you'll probably see a few rust rings that can be wire brushed off and greased up slightly and it should go back in smoothly

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I was able to get the axle out of one side of the swingarm but it is now stuck and not budging.

Any other tips?

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
From the look of the corrosion on the hub and backing plate along with the rust rings on the exposed portion of the axle, I'm pretty sure you're still in the same spot - more rust or corrosion inside is causing it to bind. You're on the right track with the screwdriver through the end if it, as twisting it will help, but at this point you're going to have to tap it through with something large enough to avoid going beside the end of the axle and damaging the threads, but small enough to fit inside the hub and bearings in the wheel, to push it through. Use caution and tap it out the other side... just use the right combo of hammer and a bar that will fit without binding or damaging the end of the axle. Obviously the axle hasn't been out in a pretty long time

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
You got it moving, spray some penetrating oil on that side and hit it back in with a hammer. Then pull it back out. Rinse and repeat until it comes all the way out.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Or buy a wooden dowel rod at home depot and use it and a hammer to push it out.
The wood might mush up but it wont' damage the metal.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Or buy a wooden dowel rod at home depot and use it and a hammer to push it out.
The wood might mush up but it wont' damage the metal.
Yup! This is exactly what I did.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts