Honda Twins banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding a CB450 K1 rear end.

Having read through the forum I thought the rear wheel bush/dampers might need replacing. I put the sprocket bolts through to check if there was any major play, and discovered the first issue; one was a different size compared to the others.

Sprocket Bolts.jpg

Looking at how they sit with the sprocket in place I think I have 3 right and one wrong.

Bolts in Sprocket.jpg

Can anyone confirm that the smaller one is incorrect?

Noticing that there was a gap between the bolts and the sprocket, which would pull the bolts up out of the bush when the nut was tightened, I looked more closely at the bushes themselves. They don’t sit flush on the bottom of the housing and are recessed somewhat at the top.

Bush Fitting.jpg

My best effort at measuring gives the dimensions of the housing to be ID-26mm and depth 40mm. The bush seems to be OD-26 x ID-12 x W-32(wide/long/deep). The 8mm difference in depth would tally with my best measurement of a 5mm recess at top and a 3mm gap at bottom.

If the bush sat flush with the housing at the top, then the sprocket would sit on both the hub and the flange of the bolts; which I assume is the way its meant to be?

Any thoughts would be appreciated, especially on the correct size for the bush/damper.

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to complete the story.

The bushes were indeed 32mm long when I eventually got them out. The story is told elsewhere on the forum -http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/59-tires-wheels-brakes/102842-help-removing-these-f-n-bolts.html

The new bushes – from David Silver Spares – were 36 mm long and the hole, measured with bushes removed, was 39mm. When I replaced the bushes, I use a 2-3mm washer on a M10 bolt to recess the bushes a little.

Replacing the bushes was easy with a little heat to the hub, frozen bushes, a little grease and a M10 bolt, nut and washers to pull/press the bush into the hub. The sprocket bolts just slide into the bushes. But note that they are splined below the threads as are the relevant holes in the sprocket - you can see them in the pic above.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts