Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched this forum and the web but to no avail. Here's my problem, the rear turn signals are on all the time like the front running lights. This started when I swapped my headlight for a halogen bulb with integrated LED turn signals. I also changed the flasher relay to one suitable for LED's. Once I got the headlight and relay installed I noticed the rear turn signals are on all the time now. It's not a big deal, I don't really mind, but it is a curiosity. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Power is being supplied to them thru the Orange and Lt. Blue wires which are turn signal only. Your front turns are also on now in addition to the run filament. Something with the wiring. Post the wiring schematic of the unit and which wires you've connected to what leads of it.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
What model bike are you working on? Most Honda with a single dash indicator ground the dash blinker through the opposite side lights. It works with the stock lights but not LEDs. The other thing, does the new integrated headlight/turn signals have running lights? Does the stock bike have front running lights? more info is needed, pictures help too.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is cold and dark out so no pics until tomorrow. I am working on a 1982 CB450SC (can't figure out how to add that to my signature). I do not have a dash indicator. I removed all dummy lights and instruments (tach and speedo never worked and I've bought 3 sets and all were broken, I use my phone for speed and my ears for RPM).
Here are the wiring instructions from the ebay listing, actually two different ones for the same part. Both of them are a little less than helpful.

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

I assumed that because of the three wires, it has both running lights and turn signals. As it is wired now the LEDs on both sides are on all the time and when I put the blinker on one side will stay lit and the other will blink (same thing out back).

I will update tomorrow with pics and a better description of how I hooked it up.

heres there headlight on the bike.

7669874544637321603.jpg

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Why is there a stop light coming out of the head light? This is confusing the heck out of me. I would start by individually energizing each light circuit just to confirm what wires do what. The headlight seems straight forward. I would expect the stop lights could be ignored.

The way the stock Honda wiring works is the turn signal switch splits the power left (orange) or right (lt. blue). Each side is connected to the same lt blue or orange circuit. I believe the '72 CB450SC had front running lights with the turn signals. With this installation the running light wires are not used. I'm making a guess here, but it looks like the rear turn signals are connected to the running lights. You should check the wiring diagram for the wire colors.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To be honest I did not use those picture instructions ( I had to go find those pics to upload for reference). I agree they make no sense. I tried two or three times, trying various configurations of wiring it in until I got front running lights (all front LEDs on) and right and left turn signals front and rear. Tomorrow I will take and upload picture of how I wired it in. I really don't mind the rear turn signals being on all the time (not sure of legality there, the more light the better. Like I said I am more curious than concerned.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is how I wired it:
I removed the headlight pig tail and plugged in the stock headlight connector.
Both black wires from the turn signals/running lights are grounded, connected to the green on the bike.
The green wires from the turn signals/running lights are plugged into the solid light blue and solid orange respectively.
The red wires from the turn signals/running lights are plugged into the light blue/white striped and orange/white striped.

20171220_110316.jpg

20171220_110225.jpg

The relay used

20171220_101046.jpg

It's a little hard to see whats going on in the pics. I took the best photos I could without removing the headlight bucket.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I think your wiring is pretty much correct, I'm thinking the lead marked as Stop is actually a Park light. I would disconnect those 2 leads and see if the problem is cured. If it is then try connecting those 2 to the spare Brown connector.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You are correct. I unplugged the red wires and now the rear lights are off. The front running lights are also off. Turn signals work normally. The brown wire coming off from the ignition switch block connector is an unused switched power source correct? I don't have a connector on it currently so I can't plug into it and see if that gives me front running lights right now. I've been planning on using that brown wire to power a USB adaptor for charging my phone while riding.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The Brown wire was intended as a Park light that some Euro countries required, a small bulb in the headlight. It's live in the On and Park ignition switch positions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts