Honda Twins banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
110/90x18 (4.25x18) looks good and works well, stock was 3.50x18 (90/90x18)

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
Every time someone asks "how big can I go" referring to tires, I have the same question..... Why do you want to go bigger?.... If it's strictly for looks, a 120/80 X 16 tire and wheel can be fitted, although ANY slack in the chain adjustment can cause tire damage.... If it's for better grip/handling, even the stock size tire in a modern compound will grip and handle better most of the time.... Also, the slight additional amount of horsepower it takes to rotate that heavier wheel/tire is lost (wasted)...
Remember, ANY single change involves the entire bike.... That 1/2" larger tire size (3.50 to 4.00) isn't much, but it lifts the rear-end of the bike 1/4", cuts available tire to fender clearance, alters the relative final drive ratio, slightly changes (raises) the center of gravity and (steepens) the steering angle, and may reduce ground clearance when the bike is on the centerstand, rendering the stand useless.....
Let me add, that I personally change LOTS of things on my bikes (Sometimes nearly everything).... Please just take into consideration what the ultimate results will be FIRST....

Yes,..... I'm just a cranky old geezer....... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Steve

·
Registered
131 Posts
I am actually curious as to what size everybody else is running, I like the factory size, but would like to know what brand and metric size you are running.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I think I'll try 110/90x18 on the rear.

I think stock tires that Honda used are too small. I don't like such a huge gap between the tire and the fenders. But I also don't like going so big where the performance/handling is affected, either..

So 110/90x18 sounds like a perfect tire for the rear. Is the stock front size a good one?

·
Premium Member
1,051 Posts
I run the 400 /18. I like the avon tyres and they make a 325/19 for the front and a 400/18 for the rear. It would depend on the tyre manufacture you want for your bike, depending on the brand you may be able to find a 350/18. The 400/18 does clear the floor on the center stand. :D

·
Registered
919 Posts
How do those translate to the 110/90/18 format?

I left my front tire on the stock size on my CB750, and it actually looks really good. It's usually the rear tires that I find are a bit small looking from the factory.

How's the stock size front tire on the CB450?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I run the stock size Avon tires - they look like they belong (except for the better tread pattern), and are the best tires I've had on it. Of course, I've been looking at this model Honda since it was new, so the stock sizes are what I'm accustomed to seeing on them. I don't subscribe to the 'wider rear tire is better' idea; it only looks different, IMO.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts