Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone purchased new shocks for their cb450. i've just clicked through the progressive shocks website but didn't get as much out of it as i was hoping. i've considered lowering my bike an inch as well so i might be in the market for some smaller shocks. anyone? thoughts, comments, leads, concerns?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Ikon has them.. $$$$

Progressive also has them but they're 13" so it will alter your steering neck angle and quicken the steering or make it more "twitchy".. You can also choose black or chrome springs..

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Try Dave Quinn - http://www.davequinnmotorcycles.com/

He sells Hagon shocks, he'll ask you questions about your bike, how much you weigh, etc - then put you some shocks together.
Dave knows a LOT, I'd go with whatever he suggests.
He knows our bikes, and can make them look almost stock if you want. They do come with the Honda clevis, just not in the picture.
Probably $200 - $300 range....... a little pricey, but not horrible, considering the dramatic effect you'll notice.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
great response bill. i will def check that site out. for a while i was content using my existing shocks. i attempted to paint them myself THEN decided to take them apart to redo the poor paint job i did. this morning i started pushing the piston of this one in and out (which wasn't as smooth an operation as i believe it should be) and a bunch of oil or some weirdo smelly petrol liquid came gushing out. there must be a gasket in there that's old and worn that just gave up? i can't figure out how to get into that piston to investigate or if i'm even supposed to be able to? any thoughts? i think i'm ok with upgrading and spending money on new shocks so i'll keep you all posted. by the way is the distance from "hole to hole" 12 inches? is that how these stock shocks are measured? and is that in fact the size? 12 inch?

and oh yeah, my homemade compressor tool- this version didn't work in getting the clips out of the top, i eventually rigged up something else before i realized how to get these things apart. worked well once i got things right...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Shocks are one of the most significant improvements you can make to these bikes.
Realistically, a pair of twisted rubber bands would work almost as well as stock Honda shocks of this era.
You'll be very pleased with the results.

Too bad the front end can't be replaced as well for that amount of money.....

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
tbpmusic said:
Shocks are one of the most significant improvements you can make to these bikes.
Realistically, a pair of twisted rubber bands would work almost as well as stock Honda shocks of this era.
You'll be very pleased with the results.

Too bad the front end can't be replaced as well for that amount of money.....
I'll bet some Progressive spring, with the proper spring rate, and emulators for the front would make a world of difference and make it ready for the twisties. That's what I plan to do with mine. I hate to spend the money but I'll probably end up with the Hagon shocks as well.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
waiting for me on my doorstep when i got home last night. popped em on for fit and did a few test "bounces." the people up at dave quinn were great. easiest purchase i've made yet for this bike.

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
uhohferris said:
waiting for me on my doorstep when i got home last night. popped em on for fit and did a few test "bounces." the people up at dave quinn were great. easiest purchase i've made yet for this bike.
Hey, what width are your springs in this picture, the "wideline" or "slimline"?

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
slim. according to the packing slip. they measure almost exactly 2 inches wide, the outside spring diameter that is...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts