Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a comfort issue that I could use some guidance on with my cafe racer. I know café racers are not really designed for comfort, but my bike is so uncomfortable its not fun to ride.
Here is where I think the problem is.
The clip ons and where my rear sets are make it a long distance to reach, and kind of makes it unstable. Meaning I can lean into turns and my arms get tired super quick, as well as my neck gets sore from holding my helmet up as my body position is pushed into a real down position. My only thought of solutions is 2 ways.
1. Move the rear sets forward. If I do that I would need to have brackets built and or welded on there which I am sure is not cheap
2. Have some kind of adapter attached to my tubes that would extend the clip ons back a few inches. I am more inclined to do this as the seat and rear sets seem to be lined up pretty well.
My question is do you know of an alternative idea that I am not thinking about or do anyone know of a device that I am thinking of for my clipons.

Thanks
JC

Attachments

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
would you consider different handlebars? I bet superbike, or even clubman, handlebars would reduce the elongation a bit - I know that clip-ons are "super cool" but you might find that this helps with your neck issue as well

·
Registered
636 Posts
if anything clubmans are even further forward.

2 ideas.

1) your set looks higher than it may need to be, lots of guys run them right on top of the tubes but it appears you are perhaps an inch or two higher than needed. this will reduce the ass in the air leaning on arms.

2) your rearsets are really far back. compare to most modern sportsbikes and they are just a couple inches behind the seat/tank interface. do something like the dime city cafe bike, and put 2 holes through the flat parts of the exhaust/passenger peg brackets and then mount a smaller plate that your rearsets then go onto. this is the most flexible option, as you can change the plate to move the rearsets exactly where you want. or sandwich 2 triangles on either side of the triangular hole in that bracket with holes in the center and mount them there. this can put them pointing forward a bit, as the brackets are not square to the bike.

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vinta...city-cycles-classic-cafe-dcc-classiccafe.html

where they are now, your legs are not taking any of your weight.

hope that helps.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Love the bracket assembly on Dime city 450. I looked on their page an dtehy dont sell the part. I called them up and they also said the don't sell the part. I am emailing herm and they said he could give me the specs to have it built. lest see

I am 5'11

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
FastCletus552 said:
I am 5'11
Your pegs are in almost the same location as the stock configuration of the passenger pegs.
That's good for stretching your legs during a long ride, but does not put you into a particularly athletic position.
You have all your weight on your neck and shoulders.
Those pegs need to move forward probably 4-5 inches (maybe down as well), and you'd use more of your larger leg muscles.
Think of how a jockey rides a race horse, a nice compact athletic position, slight lean forward but not necessarily stretched out or anything.
Clip-ons aren't easy to get used to, but you're after the Look, so your best bet is to experiment with peg positioning.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Tarozzi makes clipons that are elevated a bit, may help. http://www.fastfromthepast.com/servlet/ ... ars/Detail

Also, looking at the pic of your bike, the seat looks like its off the frame by a few inches, any reason for this? If it was lower it would help considerably. Would probably have to adjust the rearsets to compensate though, but could also go back to the stock pegs. I ran stock pegs and clubmans on my KZ and it was quite comfortable, but my seat was right on the frame rails. Worth just taking the seat off and sitting on the bike to see how it would feel with a lower seat.

Hope you figure something out, nothing worse than being uncomfortable riding a bike.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Talked to herm at dime city and he gave me some advice on how to construct a bracket in prder to move pegs forward. This should make it better

·
Registered
20 Posts
FastCletus552 said:
Talked to herm at dime city and he gave me some advice on how to construct a bracket in prder to move pegs forward. This should make it better
Please pass along the Dime City info when you get it. I'd like to see it, as I plan to use rearsets and clip-ons on the 1974 CB450 I'm currently (slowly!) working on. I'm sure others would like to see it as well.

superwesman mentioned using other bars. I'm using "GP Touring" bars on my XS650, as well as Raask rearsets with modified mounting plates that place the footpegs about halfway between the stock location and the passenger pegs, and about 3/4" higher than stock. I find this combination very comfortable.

My son has clip-ons mounted above the triples on his 1973 CL450, making the front lower, and footpegs in the stock location. It's not too bad, but will be better when he lowers the rear a bit. We both agree that it would be better with the pegs a few inches back, though.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I fabbed the plates out of cardboard then wood. I gave them to my crusty machining guy and he is cutting 4 plates for me. I am hoping to install them on Saturday. will post the pics when I am done as well as the measurements of the fabbed plates so you guys can use if need be. I know just from my design I moved my feet about 4 inches forward, and a hair higher than previous. I hope this does the trick, but worse case scenario it will be better than before

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
I am building a CB450 cafe racer right now also. I bought an exhaust and rear sets from Omars.
http://omarsdtr.com/clubman.html
Click on the exhaust link and it shows a great picture of it and the rear sets.
I should have gotten the parts last week but he didnt get them shipped out as promised. I should get them this week. They werent here today yet. Hopefully tomorrow.
I plan on taking some pictures of the mocked up bike as soon as I get these Omars parts.
Don

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In the pics he has the rear sets mounted where I had mine. They look good but on my bike it was uncomfortable. I can ride it in and around town, but only for really short distances. I would like for my new ones to allow me to move around on seat a little more without upsetting suspension, and ride. I think my new ones will do the trick.
I think I looked at omars, but his were $200 plus for the rear sets. I bought a set of universal for $100. Even with my new mounting plates I am only into my rear sets for $160.

Keep me posted on how yours come out. Good luck

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Yea, they were a bit expensive but I was hoping that they would take alot of the Engineering out of my project and it might be worth the $. We will see I guess. With my clubman bars and the seat right on the old seat pan ( i trimmed the pan so the seat would mount to it rather than make brackets to mount it to the frame) the position seems like it is going to be good. I put my passenger pegs back on and tried it with those for position and I liked it. Now,,,,, that was sitting on my lift and not after an hour ride which I suspect will be a whole nother story. :roll:
My build is going to be a bit more mild than some that I have seen. I will have a bobbed rear fender sticking out from the seat with a small 305 Honda Dream tail light on it. I am planning on the stock instruments, and stock headlight. I may have to do something with the headlight ears to accomodate the master cylinder. Eventually I am going to put a drum front brake on it from a Scrambler. I am trying to get it together so I can sneak a couple of rides on it before I take it apart and paint everything. I want to make sure it is comfortable before I put all that work into it and have to change some newly painted part.
Don

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sounds like a great plan. I need to do some thing with my front brakes. Coming from a ducati race bike with dual brembo's to the P.O.S thats on the honda, its a such a DRASTIC difference. Everyone has said to either fab a new bracket for a new Caliper or put in a new front end from a newer bike. Either one might be out of my league of skills.

One thing you will encompass, is that yes it is comfy with the rear sets on passenger pegs, but what I found out is when you are stretched out, with helmet and jacket is when the problem comes in. You are so leaned forward that its a work out just to keep your helmet up.

·
Premium Member
7,864 Posts
lower seat to the rails
raise clipons (the Tomaselli adjustable clipons offer an extra inch or so rise) you can also look for some other italian clipons like the ones Ducati and MotoGuzzi used (take a look at the "swan neck" clipons from an early 70s Guzzi V7)
move rearsets forward and down just a bit. the goal is to have the peg directly under your but

if you want to engineer a comfortable bike, take a look at the seat triangle on modern sport bikes (all the motorcycle mags give this information when they review bikes)

also don't forget that the cafe style is intended for racing...it's not supposed to comefortable under 70MPH

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Also think of the comfort triangle as balancing the weight distribution. Part of the fit is to connect to the motorcycle. your legs should support your legs, your pelvis should support you torso and your arms should be lightly loaded to control the forks. The average speed you drive defines the amount of forward lean. Freeway speeds you want narrow bars that lean into the wind, back road speeds you will need to sit up more. Your body size/ shape will contribute to the correct placement. The length of your torso defines how far forward the handle bars should be. Seat height (above the foot pegs) is a function of leg length and how comfortable you are bending your knees.
The other part of the equation is athletics. Motorcycling in a physical sport. Participating at the performance end requires strength and endurance. Please let us know how this turns out. You have a very nice 450.

·
Sensei
27,182 Posts
Personally, I don't find modern sport bikes that comfortable...They are designed around the mythical "average size" rider..... Since I'm short and thin, My needs with respect to comfort will be vastly different from someone 6' and 200 lbs.......

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Lots of great dialog

I have raced before so I know my fair share about body position, set up, etc. Thats my issue with my 500, I want to get it to be more set up to ride the twisties of Nor Calor, more set up to be a race bike. Currently the weight is all caddy wampus, and I cant get of fthe bike and even attempt to get a knee out , as I would upset the balance. I really think with the new fabbed parts that move the rear sets forward will do the trick.

Was hoping to have parts this weekend but it looks more like monday. Oh well I will ride my bike in comfort on my 40th wednesday!

·
Premium Member
7,864 Posts
Caddy wumpus?...
:eek: :shock: :?
you're going to have to explain that one

Reactions: drytoe

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
I can see the main problem, the bars are fine where they are, your seat height is way too high which forces you to lean down on the bars,
See the pic of the early gixer below, I have one of these and I reckon they are one of the best designed bikes in the world, note the top of
the seat is lower than the handle bars, when you straddle the bike your are IN the bike, not ON TOP of the bike.
Instantly no stress on your shoulders or wrists, you almost become part of the bike, these early gixers are actually very comfortable to tour on.

So I say remove the seat, fold a towel over the frame and sit on that, I am sure you will note an improvment, you still may need to move the
rearsets but get the seat height right first. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts