Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got my bike running my rear brakes went out about a two-mile ride from my house I wouldn't say they went out they still engaged they just "go to the floor" I've checked brake fluid and check for leaks thoroughly

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
You checked the fluid in the rear brake? I thought the '82 450sc had a drum rear brake.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Is this the ‘82 CB450SC? Your brake fluid only affects your front brake - for the rear brake, you need to check the rod that extends from the pivot on the end of the pedal arm back to the rear wheel. There’s an adjuster nut on the end of that arm that adjusts the rear brake’s engagement point, though I’m not sure how it could slip mid-ride...

·
Registered
342 Posts
bboothe1988, I can not see where you are located or what you ride.
This would be a good time to fill in that info so we all know what is going on.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sorry, I don't know how to do it through my profile I've been trying I'm from South Bend Indiana though and I ride a 1982 Honda Nighthawk cb450sc I heard a loud sound before I realized the brake was going all the way down

·
Registered
555 Posts
Click Settings at the top right, then Edit My Signature on the left side, you can put the year and model in there :)

I’d start with the adjuster nut on the end of the brake linkage, where it meets the short arm on the brake drum. It’s part #16 on this fiche: https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb450sc-nighthawk-1982-c-usa_model456/partslist/F++19.html#results

Might be that the threads on that shaft are stripped, or that one of the pieces is missing. Your setup should match the fiche exactly. If it all looks normal, I’d guess inside the drum next.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Moved to SOHC Brake section since this is CB450SC Nighthawk
The rear brake is mechanical not hydraulic. Review the FSM for proper adjustment and pedal position, all the adjustments (2) are shown.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts