Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Small detail that I can't figure out. I'm reassembling bike--'80 CM400T--and I can't quite figure out where the spring on rear brake stop switch connects to the actual brake pedal. Does it connect at same point as large brake return spring, that small flange?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tom, thanks for help. now i just got to figure out how those two springs attach at same point without them rubbing together. maybe I'm doing something wrong or maybe its just awkwardly engineered. I was actually thinking of reversing switch spring from way it's shown in schematic and feeding long, straight end thru middle of return spring...

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I suppose you could do that - I've never owned or worked on the SOHC 400 series, but I remember at least one other Honda in the past using that arrangement. Just hook both springs in the pedal and then slip the small spring into the brake light switch, then raise the switch up above the bracket letting the spring stretch and slide the straight spring upper wire through the slot in the switch bracket, then drop the switch into the bracket. you'll have to use a lever or screwdriver (round shaft phillips sometimes works) to lever the bigger spring up over the post it goes on, or into the hole it goes into (fiche isn't really clear on that one)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow! so simple yet it never occurred to me as a solution (hmmm, what's that say about me??). thanks Jim!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BUT... schematic suggests that the coiled end of brake spring should be at bottom. ?? Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 10.26.18 AM.jpg

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I got the impression from Jim's picture that the brake pedal return spring leans a little toward the outside, and the brake light switch spring just hooks on the bottom coil of the brake return spring. The bottom coil of the return spring will move equally with the pedal and the outward lean will allow the size of the brake light spring to sit next to it

Edit: the switch spring is inverted in his picture... it won't matter, the function will be the same

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Yes, I inverted the brake switch spring deliberately when I replaced it. It was rubbing on the pedal return spring and the previous one broke, wore thru, in that area.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts