Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone is being economical with the facts here.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-CB175-Honda-1975-the-CB175-forerunner-to-the-Honda-CB200-low-miles/333013504314?hash=item4d8926d13a:g:gQIAAOSw8kRcO49y:rk:1:pf:0

CB175 advertised in the UK with 'only 437 miles' on it, belonged to a little old lady who fell off it once then put it away in a shed. Vendor states new silencers fitted due to rot, all else original, 'runs like a Swiss watch'.

So, what is wrong with this photo, taken from the Ebay advert ?

200cam.JPG

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
All I can think of is the ad says the clutch handle was damaged in her fall but this looks like the right side is scraped up.
Oh wait, England, everything is reversed.:D

Is that the correct engine? Looks like a 200 engine.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Well, it looks to me like most of the right engine cover screws are stripped... Someone seems to have tried to take it apart and gave up. Runs like a swiss watch... I'll bet.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did take the liberty of asking the vendor about that side cover, and this is part of his reply:

Regarding allen head screws, from 1975 ( when this bike was manufactured ) Honda were using a combination of both allen head and cross head screws on their engines and indeed if you look at photos of the 1975 CB200's listed on ebay at the moment you will see exactly the same combination of screw heads on the engine covers - the provenance is absolutely 100% but if you still have any doubt please don't bid.
Shakes head ….

Reactions: ancientdad

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
From seeing pictures of a 175 engine, that chrome cover is oval, 200 engines they were rectangular.

·
Registered
154 Posts
After searching some more, I guess it's possible they are hex screws, but the two on the bottom near the exhaust are cross/phillips. I haven't seen this combination anywhere. Even if the others are not stripped screws, it still looks fishy.

·
Banned
854 Posts
Believe it or not I got my CB450 because a little old lady that I work for quite often was given the 450 by her husband 15+ years ago, she got on it, fell over and into the garage it went until I got it.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I saw this one a couple of days ago and raised my eyebrows. You can be confident that the clock has done 400 odd miles, as for the engine I'm not so sure.

·
Registered
581 Posts
It also looks like the lower frame and engine mounts have been spray painted. The bolts on those mounts look unusually black.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
Painted-over rust, top left side of the swingarm. It's supposedly been in a shed forever, why is the red zone in the tach face faded? Front brake cable looks like it was left in the sun for years.

Reactions: ancientdad

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Call the eBay poster, or the person the eBay poster got the bike from, as they are - a liar. Helmet holder sticker has been poorly taped off and the area spot painted, nuts and bolts in many places painted over with black, swingarm painted over what seems to be rust as Mike pointed out, and are those handlebars even correct for either a 175 or 200? They seem low... laughable money they're asking for it, considering

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
From the vendor:

Thanks for that Richard, I agree that the allen head screws could well be an aftermarket fitment but as to the cam journal, if it has been changed at some time it's definitely not been done by me.

I suppose it's is vaguely possible that the cam seized/rusted in situ with standing still for 40 odd years which obviously would have no bearing on miles covered and that it has been changed due to bad corrosion , I'm not sure. As both the silencers had badly rotted out whilst standing it's of course possible that it's been stored in a damp shed but again this is speculation.

What I am certain of though is that the engine runs very quietly with no rattles or smoke etc.

What you seem to be suggesting is that despite the fact that both the frame number and the engine serial number exactly match the year of build and also the paperwork and DVLA history confirms that the bike was only ridden for somewhere between one and two years in total, someone has cunningly managed to find a speedo with a very low mileage on it so as to give the impression that not many miles have been done during this documented short time on the road whilst also fabricating some obvious spill damage to one side of the bike to give some credence to the ownership history.

Also, there as there are only 3 documented owners of the bike in 45 years and the last two owners have definitely never ridden this bike your conjecture seems very unlikely.

You are therefore suggesting that myself and the previous owner that I spoke to at great length when I travelled to Ayrshire to collect it from him ( a chap that works for the National Grid in Scotland ) who in turn bought it from his immediate neighbour in Ayr have somehow all conspired to make this tale up, all for a bike valued at a couple of grand, interesting.
Methinks he doth protest to much. I merely asked why it had a CB200 cam journal fitted at such a low mileage, and listed the possible reasons for cam bearing failure.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Seems pretty defensive that a buyer asks questions instead of just throwing down money and believing everything he says.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I have never seen a new tachometer with such a faded redline area, though I will agree that the speedometer looks to be newer. Front brake cable looks to be original but the clutch cable looks significantly newer

175 gauges.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DVLA history confirms that the bike was only ridden for somewhere between one and two years in total,
Back in the day, I covered 22,000 miles in 18 months on my CB175 …..

Not inconceivable that if the bike went down on the left hand side, speedo could have been wiped out along with clutch lever, and maybe other parts, headlamp rim etc.

BTW, those handlebars are the correct UK ones, flat and narrow.

·
Banned
854 Posts
Just curious Richard, what kind of performance is typical for a CB175?

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
From the vendor:

Methinks he doth protest to much. I merely asked why it had a CB200 cam journal fitted at such a low mileage, and listed the possible reasons for cam bearing failure.
Let him know there's a nos clock on ebay
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/183596125463

That way he can knock those pesky miles off of the clock and claim it's some sort of unicorn factory built 175/200 hybrid... Might be sandcast?.... Might be a dealer only option?.... Some type of UK only D kit?
Ask him what that one lady thinks, pretty sure she can confirm that the bike was once ridden by Jimi Hendrix while he was playing backup guitar on a Beatles track that was actually just pressed once for the B side of that golden album that's on Voyager 1

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I have never seen a new tachometer with such a faded redline area, though I will agree that the speedometer looks to be newer. Front brake cable looks to be original but the clutch cable looks significantly newer

View attachment 273216
I agree with Tom, the clocks don't match or do the brake and clutch cables. For a 437 mile bike those cable adjusters look like they have been adjusted about 30,000 miles worth of adjustment. Actually, the bike looks nice, I don't know the UK market, but in Seattle and if it ran well, it would be a $2,000 asking price bike. I think it would have a hard time selling at that price.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts