Honda Twins banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
72 cb450. i was riding the other day when all of a sudden when in first, it was like my clutch wouldn't release all the way. i was getting high rpm but no power. so i slowly made it home, where i realized that my kick start wouldn't catch. like the clutch wasn't being released. no amount of tweaking the free play on the cable could get it to catch. i went to check the left side drive chain cover where the clutch cable goes into and noticed that as soon as i loosen the bolts on the cover the kickstart will catch and the clutch cable will release. i dont even have to take them all the way out just loosen them up. i can understand it. hopefully someone has some sort of an answer to whats going on. thanks

·
Premium Member
670 Posts
Huh. I had something similar happen to my 350 the other day, in as much as I had a clutch malfunction coincide with kick starter weirdness...
While on a ride, my clutch went in but wouldn't release. With my hand, I could feel that the kick starter didn't want to engage for the first few inches of travel. When the kicker did catch, the clutch lever released.
Weird. What does it mean?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried readjusting the cable but it didn't seem to make too much of a difference.it's like when I pull the clutch lever it doesn't want to spring back and engage again

·
Registered
489 Posts
Maybe the clutch mechanism in the drive sprocket cover is gummed up? Try taking it apart, cleaning it and lubing it. Don't forget to watch out for the steel ball in there. It is easy to lose.

·
Registered
7 Posts
similar thing happened to my CL450. Turns out it has a fork looking thing that a screw goes through and it activates the cluctch rod, well a bit of the fork broke off and fouled the clutch action, i too tried to adjust it and found the adjustment eratic. I got the fork on ebay. This mechanism is on the left of the engine where the clutch cable enters the case.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
any chance you remember what the 'fork' part was called?

·
Registered
7 Posts
i will let u know in the morning as i have not yet removed it from its packing so i also have the part number.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks, ill open that up and take alook at it in the morning

·
Registered
7 Posts
Okay there was no part number on the bag but its called the clutch adjuster stop and its listed on ebay as item#120553767573.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
If you're talking about part #11 in the diagram (22844-200-010 PIECE, ADJUSTER FIXING), it's still available from Honda for about $4 (AFAIK). Used on a large number of models, 160/175/450/CA95/92/CB72/77, blah blah.......
So is part #10 (still available), but not #12 or #8 or the spring.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i appreciate everyone's help, turns out the end of #8 in that diagram, the part that holds the cable had broken

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
monseraat said:
i appreciate everyone's help, turns out the end of #8 in that diagram, the part that holds the cable had broken
Broken, or ground away by an o-ring chain??
That part is hard to find, unhappily......

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
actually broken which is really strange in itself. a little jb weld seemed to fix it for now till i can figure out what to do about that part, $21 from bike bandit isnt crazy, but more than i want to pay right now

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
monseraat said:
actually broken which is really strange in itself. a little jb weld seemed to fix it for now till i can figure out what to do about that part, $21 from bike bandit isnt crazy, but more than i want to pay right now

I guess I wasn't clear - that part is No Longer Available, hasn't been for many years. It is unique to the 450..
Just because someone's fiche lists it doesn't mean they can actually get one.
There is always the possibility that some shop has one or two in the back, but good luck with that.
I don't even think specialty places like David Silver actually have them.

If I could find them for $21, I'd get a dozen of them..........

1 - 16 of 16 Posts