Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To whomever will listen...

I have had a 1974 CB450 for 8 years and I have never gotten it to run right.
When I first bought it I blew the original engine. I had a shop install a 500T.
Then it would never run right. I could barely hit 65 to get on the highway...
I've tried everything at this point...
It had a ******* exhaust where the original pipes were extended or some crazyiness (def not original), so I had a custom exhaust made. This was also to get rid of the possibility of exhaust leaks because I heard how much that matters.
I replaced the exhaust gaskets.
I have rebuilt the carburetors.
I have tried both the stock air filters and the pods from common motor.
I have gone through the regular maintenance procedures.
I have synced the carbs.
I have gone up and down the main jet scale.
I have tried checking the spark plugs for rich vs lean. Not really successfully I think...
I have put on a new petcock.
I have changed my fuel lines.

BUT IT STILL DOES NOT RUN RIGHT!

I dont know what else to do at this point...and now the starter isn't working...

It idles fine, but when I try to ride it it backfires and won't exceed like 5000 RPMS.

I am at my wits end and am 5 seconds away from selling to the best offer even though I dont want to. It was my first bike and I cant afford another one and there is no way my wife would let me buy another one.

I have some photos if anyone cares...only able to upload one apparently...
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190330173344327_COVER.jpg

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Oh, we're all listening. Don't worry, the 450/500t literate members will be along to help point the way. Its going to be alright.

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
Please set rotor at "LF" aligned with index pointer and photograph the points plate and advance cam showing both sets of points and the tappet adjustment eccentric ends....Post it here......
Then Phone me....540-525-5199..... Steve

·
Sensei
27,173 Posts
Whenever you can be at the bike (engine "stone-cold") with your tools.....
A multi-meter and/or a "test light" and feeler gauges for setting/timing the points and verifying valve adjustments,and some means of "holding" the rotor on the index marks will be necessary as well......

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
Try this as a method to hold the rotor in place. It works extremely well.

timing.jpg

Are the mufflers baffled? Or are they the straight through types?

When you said you rebuilt the carbs what does that mean exactly? Did you replace any hard parts like jets and needles?

I have tried both the stock air filters and the pods from common motor.
Don't use pods unless you are prepared to be very patient and go through a lot of trial and error to re-jet the carbs. And even then they will never run as good as the stock airbox and filters.

I have synced the carbs.
How exactly did you sync them? Did you use a vacuum sync tool to do this?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts