Honda Twins banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't have any high expectations to be able to ride trials, but always admired the skills and balance required to do it. So never having even ridden a trials bike or owned one, I decided I should at the very least try it. While in Davenport for the large Chief Blackhawk swap meet this past week-end I came across a rare example that Honda put out in '75, (first year 250) mainly designed by the trials legend Sammy Miller. Since few of the approx 4K produced still survive in any reasonable original condition, I though I'd best take this one home with me. Nearly complete original except for a couple of unobtainable parts, this bike was in excellent running order and titled as well. So far I'm having a ball running it around my property while getting used to the gear ratios. First three must be for doing stunts as they are really low. 4th and 5th seem to get you down the road at a reasonable pace though. Should be fun alternating between my Elsinore MT250 and this specialty bike.
I hope these pics show up, (haven't done squat about that photobucket problem yet) as I'm linking from my pinterest acct. Let me know if they aren't viewable.

I understand the factory lighting kits were also rare. The front fender is a Preston Petty version as the originals seem to be all destroyed. Wheels are aluminum as well as tank. Motor cases are magnesium.

Don't think I showed my '74 MT250 (first year also) motocross bike either. Here it is.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Very nice - the TL looks great. I think they transferred the basic XL250 engine into the TL with the gearing changes, as the XL had the magnesium covers as well. The huge alternator rotor/flywheel on the XL engine helped it with low-end grunt, IIRC it was around 6 lbs. Pics came through fine but they don't zoom, probably because they are linked and not uploaded - but we get to see them :D

1 - 2 of 2 Posts