Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if i understand this correctly, on a stock 450 k4 headlight, green is ground, white is regular beam, and blue is high beam. right? and i ALSO understand this new tractor headlight i got doesn't have a high beam bulb. i wonder if the state if NJ will have a problem with that come inspection time, i forget. so a couple questions here...

can someone explain the wires coming out of this tractor headlight?

i have had it "lite up" from my battery- i just connected the green wire to my harness "white wire." the ground, i suppose, was made by bolting the headlight to a bracket connected to my frame (i temporarily did that)? is there something i can do to ground this tractor light without bolting it down? like run a ground wire that would connect back to my harness where the old ground connected to? where would this new ground wire come from- the "other green" connected wire seen here in the picture? do i run THAT to my wiring harness ground? did i just answer my own question?

OR am i not making any sense here? i've just started tackling some wiring on my bike and hit a brick wall. many more question to come and I DO HAVE A WIRING DIAGRAM.

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
#1... ALL 50 states REQUIRE both low and high beams... They CAN be separate "bulbs" or separate elements within one "bulb" ..... Your Tractor lamp is a single filament bulb and either terminal can be used as the switched side, the other terminal is the ground side........

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok end of headlight discussion, thanks steve. once i sort out want i need to know about the new tail light i got i'll pick up this post again. it's legit i swear :roll:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
couple things...
rear brake stop switch wiring: it's working but i'm feel like i'm missing something. anyone see anything glaring that i'm forgetting, or un-necessarily added because i have so many wires laying around?
[attachment=4:2jo81cxf]Mobile Photo Mar 20, 2010 1 23 04 PM.jpg[/attachment:2jo81cxf]
[attachment=3:2jo81cxf]Mobile Photo Mar 20, 2010 1 24 06 PM.jpg[/attachment:2jo81cxf]
[attachment=2:2jo81cxf]Mobile Photo Mar 20, 2010 1 24 49 PM.jpg[/attachment:2jo81cxf]

front brake stop switch is in this new master cylinder set up. who else has bought one of these, off ebay-with the video, Bill? i think you recommended it to me? how did you handle the stop switch connection? with just some female slide on connector things? or something else, do they make something specific for this switch? does it matter which of the two prongs is ground and which is, well, the opposite of that? i'm really not sure what they will connect to in my harness either...
[attachment=1:2jo81cxf]Mobile Photo Mar 20, 2010 1 07 48 PM.jpg[/attachment:2jo81cxf]
[attachment=0:2jo81cxf]Mobile Photo Mar 20, 2010 1 08 00 PM.jpg[/attachment:2jo81cxf]

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Sweet looking LITTLE light!....I emphasize "little" because many states require a minimum sq. in area of light/reflector surface.......(Not that I generally pay attention to that either....)........Green/yellow stripe wire on bike is connected to the brake indicator (brighter filament) , Brown to the "running" (low filament) light, and green to whatever ground the replacement light requires........ You will need to have both brake switches in parallel, so run a wire (or use the stock green/yellow) from both switches.... the other terminal on both switches needs powered when the key is on.... (black power buss on the stock harness)....:D :D ;)

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Seth, from your pix, the yellow taillight lamp wire is the "bright" filament connection and goes to BOTH brake switches....

The brown to pink looks correct if it goes to the low filament on your new light....

The green to purple is correct IF purple is the new light's ground color....

Alll you need to do now is feed battery power (when key-switch is on) to the other switch terminals

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Got working as per your instruction steve, ofcourse I have a million more questions for you- wish I had a video phone hot line to you right now!

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Cell. 540-525-5199...Call first so I can shut down dial-up internet... Then call:
Land line.... 540-427-4256.....No video, but it will have to do..... Steve

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
steve! if your listening i need phone line help again(maybe). new headlight, green to green, blue to blue and white to white but when i turn on ignition i get nothing(with control switch off). i then turn on lights, nothing. i turn key again to second position and i get normal lighting, switch high beams on and they work as well. so what gives? what have i wired wrong? anybody?

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
I'm home now... feel free to call...Nothing is actually wrong, you are just getting power to the handlebar light switch from a brown/white stripe wire.... Personally, I'd leave it as it is.... first position engine and brake light only, second position, brake, running lights and engine, third position taillight only (parking light), NO engine.....headlight off lo and high are dependant on second key position and bar switch position....

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
this is the positive copper ring terminal connection off of my wiring harness. it was soldered or welded or something to TWO wires. one goes back in to the harness and the other to one end of the fuse connection. i know where they are and i think i know how to connect them back together again. my question is, can i use an aluminum connector? i have some laying around- OR should i specifically pick up another copper ring? ALSO should i try to solder the whole connection back together again or will a good strong simple crimp do the job? i can probably guess the first but i just wanted to hear some other opinions?
[attachment=0:3pys7rgx]Mobile Photo Apr 5, 2010 10 25 43 PM.jpg[/attachment:3pys7rgx]

Attachments

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
An aluminum connector will be just fine. I'd crimp the connection but apply flux inside it and to the wiring first. Then once crimped, solder it letting the flux pull the solder into the pre-crimped connector.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
another question. am i delusional in thinking that there is a rectifier/regulator all in one solution for my 450? like, smaller and from radioshack for cheap? can anyone confirm this and better yet back it up with a "currently using" scenario? additionally, if so, is re-wiring it something i might attempt to tackle, any crazy splicing or weirdo connections that i need to be aware of?

hope to hear from anybody...

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
uhohferris said:
another question. am i delusional in thinking that there is a rectifier/regulator all in one solution for my 450? like, smaller and from radioshack for cheap? can anyone confirm this and better yet back it up with a "currently using" scenario? additionally, if so, is re-wiring it something i might attempt to tackle, any crazy splicing or weirdo connections that i need to be aware of?

hope to hear from anybody...
You're not delusional....
A device like that is made by "Oregon Cycle" or someone like that.
A Search should come up with that info......

·
Registered
363 Posts
Ricky stator makes one too

I'm using it with success, just wired it in like the stock rectifier. red to batt pos black to batt neg yellows to the
alternator coils. I also rigged the headlight switch for full alternator output seems to work fine, batt charges with out boiling over.

http://www.rickystator.com/catalog/prod ... ucts_id=88

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ihatespeed- or anyone for that matter
my oregon cycles rectifier/regulator combo unit has arrived. umm, in short, what do i plug in to what? mine looks like yours. one ground wire, two yellow and a red. what about my existing rectifier- and the plug in my harness that it connects to (red/white, pink, green and yellow wires i think) remove it? and what about my existing regulator and the green, yellow and black wires that it connects to? the new unit looks solid and i'm sure it'll work great-once i figure how to wire it up. instructions that came packaged are cryptic and i just like asking you guys as well...

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
uhohferris said:
ihatespeed- or anyone for that matter
my oregon cycles rectifier/regulator combo unit has arrived. umm, in short, what do i plug in to what? mine looks like yours. one ground wire, two yellow and a red. what about my existing rectifier- and the plug in my harness that it connects to (red/white, pink, green and yellow wires i think) remove it? and what about my existing regulator and the green, yellow and black wires that it connects to? the new unit looks solid and i'm sure it'll work great-once i figure how to wire it up. instructions that came packaged are cryptic and i just like asking you guys as well...
Someone posted that a while back, but I can't find it.
When it pops up again, I'll attach a "Sticky" to it.....

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bill,
not to sound like to much of an idiot (meaning me), ihatespeed pretty much answered my question. i just thought he might elaborate a little. disconnect and remove regulator, leave green yellow and black wires just hanging. disconnect and remove rectifier and replace with new unit. not rocket science i guess...

still interested to hear more.

·
Registered
363 Posts
sorry about the tardy response, lost it in the shuffle.. yes you pull the regulator, leaving wires hanging (tape em) I ended up re-using the stock rectifier plug to connect to the new reg rectifier, I don't recall the exact pin out, but it was yellows to stator and the red and green to battery positive and negative respectively.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts