Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've made up my mind (always open to advice) to use the original spokes off of my CB175, front and rear are in great shape. Question is, what finish on the metal is stock? They're dirty and weathered and I can't really tell. I'm thinking Honda's OEM zinc but again, I just don't know 100%. Can anyone tell me what finish is on them from the factory? 20180304_085252[1].jpg

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
They're zinc plated from the factory, many people say cadmium but the word is Honda only cad plated stamped steel parts.

If you want to get fancy you can clean the spokes and nipples with detergent then soak them in white vinegar to remove the rust and zinc, then you can diy zinc plate them again, the level of shine after plating is up to you.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Here's some pics of spokes I did mid last winter, they were pretty rusty, I did the electrolytic rust removal, polished with a wheel and white rouge, then in the second pic I diy zinc plated, thick but the nipples still thread on. The brighter spoke in the second pic is shined up with green scotchbrite, the shiny one was hand polished with Mothers Mag polish.

After experimenting a little I decided stripping rust and old zinc with vinegar and prepping with scotchbrite was my method of choice. After plating I toss the spokes a dozen at a time into the vibratory tumbler until they're shiny but not bright, somewhere between scotchbrited and hand polished.

To verify rust resistance I left a full set of 36 spokes out on my open, second floor balcony, on a damp carpet scrap, exposed to snow, rain and wind from about January 2017 until August 2018. I don't have pics to compare but they seemed to me the same as they were when I left them there.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice work Alan, thank you. That sounds like a plan. I'll be sure and post pics of before and after. Getting things ready to do some plating next weekend, you've confirmed my suspicion as to what they're coated with.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Thank you. The spokes I worked on were only from a 92 CB250 Nighthawk, the spoke you show is in much nicer condition. My research led to a lot of panic over hydrogen embrittlement, but that ultimately affect only higher carbon steels. I also found a full metric ton of posts where people say they wouldn't trust their lives to reused spokes, or to 'cheap Chinese crap' in reference to the alloy rim hoops found on eBay, especially the ones with the 'Racing Boy' name on them. I found that company produces parts sold to almost 1/3 of the world, their quality is good and prices plus shipping are pretty OK too.
Mostly every thread I found had someone saying they wouldn't trust old or foreign made spokes, and you should just buy from Buchanan. I found this so often I suspect conspiracy. Ultimately out here in the real world, where my balls are much bigger than my wallet, I'll replate and reuse spokes until there are no more left.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My sentiments exactly. I don't need to have them x-rayed to know that they're sound hardware. On DavidSilverSpares.com I think both sets would be around $80-90 with shipping. By doing this, I save some coin and learn something else in the process. Knowledge is something no one can ever take away.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Here's some pics of spokes I did mid last winter, they were pretty rusty, I did the electrolytic rust removal, polished with a wheel and white rouge, then in the second pic I diy zinc plated, thick but the nipples still thread on. The brighter spoke in the second pic is shined up with green scotchbrite, the shiny one was hand polished with Mothers Mag polish.

After experimenting a little I decided stripping rust and old zinc with vinegar and prepping with scotchbrite was my method of choice. After plating I toss the spokes a dozen at a time into the vibratory tumbler until they're shiny but not bright, somewhere between scotchbrited and hand polished.

To verify rust resistance I left a full set of 36 spokes out on my open, second floor balcony, on a damp carpet scrap, exposed to snow, rain and wind from about January 2017 until August 2018. I don't have pics to compare but they seemed to me the same as they were when I left them there.
Nice work Alan F. ;)

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Thanks Gents. By the way sorry to hijack the thread, I'm just trying to add relavent info into a thread that'll come up in searches by it's title.

One of my next projects is to take a slightly rusty rim hoop, set it up with a timing motor like a rotisserie to soak the rim evenly in regular 5% white vinegar in order to remove the rust.
I'll probably scrub and inspect it every 12 hours or so until it seems clean. Then the idea is to DIY zinc plate the rim in the same manner. The zinc can't plate over chrome, it'll only plate over the bare steel spots where rust (and originally chrome) used to be. After a quick plating run I'll clean it off and inspect the spots, probably hit it with soft counterfeit scotchbrite, clean in acetone and plate some more. After I'm happy with the plating I'll polish the spots out by hand, I'm hoping they'll blend with the chrome enough to be good from a few feet away. For the inside of the rim I'll just scotchbrite it and enjoy the peace of mind from the rust prevention.

*This seems like a good place to place this link: https://www.cyclekartclub.com/phorum/read.php?2,10344
This guy soaked his entire assembled wheels in vinegar and scrubbed them every 24 hours, he posted pics too, it's amazing and it's the only example I've found where someone has claimed to do this. It leaves me with only one question, vinegar won't harm chrome or aluminum... and zinc won't plate over chrome or aluminum... is it feasible that an assembled wheel (bearings removed and spokes loosened) could be cleaned and zinc plated as a unit?

Maybe someday I'll be bored enough to try it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm a scotchbrite guy. The only thing I'd do (recycled 100's of bicycle spokes over the years) is disassemble in two groups; heads in and heads out so as not to change the set at the spoke head to reduce chances of fatigue micro fractures. Failures mostly occurs at this point. Also, do not use a set that is too short (does not completely fill the threads of the nipple. Brass nipples are so thin the heads will pop. Abused nipples are a bummer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts