Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just done a valve job on a K3 450 and usually re torque the head nuts after about 300 miles. I have been told that it is not necessary to do this. What do you people do, re torque or not?

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Of course, that would be a few heat/cool cycles in 300 miles, not just one 300 mile ride. ;)

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Honda nor any other manufacturer ever retorqued head nuts after 300 miles, so I doubt they would need it.
TOOLS

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for your opinions, think I will do as before and re torque just for good measure. Though TOOLS point is well taken perhaps Mr Honda's instructions to dealers were to re torque at the first service 500 miles?
I am struck by the fact that the 450 manual says torque head bolts to 21.7 ft/p and the 500t manual 32.5 to 39.8, I have been torquing to 30 ft/p for both. It can only mean that having all the nuts equal is more important than exact torque?

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I did a lot of 500 mile check-ups, back in the day, and we never re-torqued head bolts.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did a lot of 500 mile check-ups, back in the day, and we never re-torqued head bolts.

Thanks Mike! If Honda dealers didn't re torque it must not be necessary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts