Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I've now done 600+ miles on my 72' 450 (in 500t rolling chassis) and am wondering whether I should re-torque the cylinder head. I read varying views on this subject (especially on the 750 honda forum) and am still not sure.

I believe Jensen re-torqued his head after a certain period...

I have no problem with the engine - there are no leaks etc. Just wondering what the normal advice is. Cheers.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
It wont hurt, I like to put the torque wrench on things after a few heat cycles just to be sure.

Reactions: Alan F.

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
It does not say to do it in any service manual I have ever read (except the CB/CM400). I have never done it on any engine and never had any loose nuts/bolts on any engine I have taken apart.
TOOLS

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for advice - I'm erring on the side of leaving the head nuts alone. Two of the nuts are hard to get at (not sure if its because its a 450 in a 500 chassis) but its not as straight forward as it could be.
I don't want to jinx this engine by fixing it if it isn't broken - its going much better than I'd even hoped for! Cheers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's exactly what I was thinking! And yes no leaks at all and great performance - I really am still looking for the catch...

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I'll say this... don't argue with success. My engine is dry this time around (had a slight weep from the center of the head gasket last time) and it's nice to be able to say that, considering the parts are 45 years old and the top end has been apart at least a few times over the years

1 - 7 of 7 Posts