Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is to generate some discussion on this, I've a friend that has just re-phased his XS650 with great results! so can this be done on the 450? With a 270deg (90deg) crank and cams to match.
What sort of difference would it make? The XS650 engine is a completely different beast and the difference is dynamic.

The re-phasing process should not be that hard as the crank is pressed together, cams are easy, regrind to suit the 270 and if using a Dyna ignition just moving one of the sensors solves that problem!

I've done a lot of reading and helped in the rebuild of the XS650 but would like the thoughts of the forum :)

This is the article that started it all for the XS650, worth a read.
http://www.xs650.de/tips/rephase-e.htm

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
I've read about classic racers that do this conversion on the XS650. Think it was to somehow get more power out of it.
It would be a complicated project on a CB450 but I think it's possible. What about converting a CB450 to 360 crank so it sounds and vibrates like a Triumph Bonneville? :D

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Znabb said:
I've read about classic racers that do this conversion on the XS650. Think it was to somehow get more power out of it.
It would be a complicated project on a CB450 but I think it's possible. What about converting a CB450 to 360 crank so it sounds and vibrates like a Triumph Bonneville? :D
Actually my thoughts were to get away from the British bike vib :? The 270 crank on a inline twin sounds like a v twin and will have a smooth power delivery.
As for re-phasing the crank, on the 450/500 it's relatively easy as they are a pressed 5 piece crank and don't have the spline issues the XS has, The stroke does not change and regrinding the cams is not an issue so that leaves ignition which is a doodle for me :D
The XS picks up a noticeable amount or torque and mild increase in HP, "if" i can do this to the 450 that is going to be fun!
The photos are of the beginning of the next Cafe Build, the engine is a 500 unit.

Standard 500 crank (needing a complete rebuild)

So start to look at the possibility of re-phasing....mmm.. looks do-able

Can be pressed out and re-phased...looking very do-able

Any thoughts from the enlightened ones ;)

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
It's been done before. Take a look at the website for "the Fang" CB500T...

GB :mrgreen:
Yep, it's been done before :roll: He's running 60/300 deg for drag racing, what about 90/270 deg for street? Any engineering input :?:

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Znabb said:
otr002 said:
Actually my thoughts were to get away from the British bike vib :?
I know Rod, I was only kidding but I understand why people convert the XS650:
I didn't know the XS had reverse :lol: :lol: that vibration would get the Ladies going right off :oops:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
otr002 said:
Yep, it's been done before :roll:
We all know I'm no engineer. I was just pointing you towards a source of more info on re-phasing since there's not much info out there on that subject...

You seem to know everything about it already Rod so go ahead and show us all how it's done.. :roll:

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
otr002 said:
Yep, it's been done before :roll:
We all know I'm no engineer. I was just pointing you towards a source of more info on re-phasing since there's not much info out there on that subject...

You seem to know everything about it already Rod so go ahead and show us all how it's done.. :roll:

Not everything, as i said, any engineering input would be great or observations on the idea/concept. How's you engine coming along? Done anything yet :)

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Nope. Unfortunately my build may never get finished. I've got the money but hard times make me hold onto it. I've got job applications in at several places but I'm just not having any luck so far.

Sorry for the cocky comment Rod, as I am interested in hearing your results with the re-phasing. I've had a long (frustrating) day in the field working on a broken planter, and having to re-seed/plant half of 25 acres. Just a bad day in general.

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bird76Mojo said:
Nope. Unfortunately my build may never get finished. I've got the money but hard times make me hold onto it. I've got job applications in at several places but I'm just not having any luck so far.

Sorry for the cocky comment Rod, as I am interested in hearing your results with the re-phasing. I've had a long (frustrating) day in the field working on a broken planter, and having to re-seed/plant half of 25 acres. Just a bad day in general.

You can truly say that your a farmer when you beat the crows up in the morning and shoot them to bed in the evening. :D

One of my jobs as a kid was to sit on the planter (sorghum) with a loaf of old bread and a tin of "Poison" dipping bits of the bread in the tin and throwing it to the crows that were eating the seed!! I know 25 acres of that and i was dusty/dirty and had a sore ass :lol: but the best bit was getting to drive the tractor home on the public road!! Dad still has his 1964 New performance super major! first tractor he ever bought new, I think you (US) called them the 5000? and had a different cowl-grill, Square?

I like the idea of rephasing the 450 for two reasons, one, to get a smother power delivery (better torque) and second to get that distinctive v twin noise! I have several Yamaha's and one of them is the TRX850 twin, don't think you got them in the US. It's a twin just like the 450 only the crank is phased at 270/90, do a web search for a video of the sound, whenever i ride it i turn 18 again and just can't stop blipping the throttle.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
That 850 sounds pretty mean! I found a dyno video of it that was pretty nice...

Tomorrow will hopefully be a better day in the field.. I hope. I still love driving my dads Allis Chalmers WD45 that we plant with, thorugh town! You can come into the edge of town at night and just before turning onto the town square drop the throttle and she shoots fire a foot high out of the straight pipe up top.. Scares the bejeebus out of people when she pops/cackles.. :lol: She's had some engine work though..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts