Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'74 CB200 ACCEL IGNITION COIL HELP

On Simo's recommendation I got the Accel 140403S ignition coil. I'm at a loss on how to make this replacement, it looks totally wrong. I've heard there are modifications that can be made but I haven't been able to find any instructional info on the web. All help most appreciated. Thanks in advance. Pictures/details attached :mrgreen:

Attachments

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts
Re: '74 CB200 ACCEL IGNITION COIL HELP

Have you considered "L" shaped brackets?......

I'm in Roanoke....feel free to phone....540-525-5199......

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I would probably need to see a picture of that to understand how it would look/work.

I'll take you up on the phone call tomorrow. Very grateful thanks!

·
Registered
4,770 Posts

Hi brass
Sorry I should have mentioned that there might be a little work to fit any non oem part
With the accel you need to open up the mounting holes in the frame with a file /dremel / drill
The coil also needs to sit slightly off the frame so the triangular hole with the rounded corners in the frame may also need a file so that the yellow body of the coil isn't touching the frame/tank
Also turn the coil 180 deg so the studs which take the spark plug leads point inwards

Also while you don't want the spark plug leads to be excessively long its not imperative that the new coil sits exactly in the same position as the old one

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thank you Simo that advice and first picture helps quite a bit. The studs will point out through the hole (sticking out on the left).

So I am to cut the B+ and condenser wire from the current coil and attach one of the red connectors to each? Do you have a close up picture to show where on the coil to attach them? Or confirm my best guess which is (in your first picture) the two studs on the left pointing toward the back of the bike. Does it matter which wire goes on which one?

Thanks a million.

*steve - will attempt this before i take you up on the phone call. if your phone rings it will be a good indication i'm about to stab myself in the face :shock:

:)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

from 0 to frustrated in about 10 minutes.

i wondered if longer bolts with longer spacers would eliminate all the filing and drilling and what problems i might run into from vibration
then tried to put one of the plug wires on the tower stud and realized the wire is going to stick out farther on the left than the coil will on the right
also one tower will point straight into the harness clip and then be an act of congress to run to the right side without touching the frame
then i came back around to wondering how the tank might fit around all the sticky out parts

it reminds me of a shoe too big for my foot

must say this is the first thing yet that makes me want to back track get a refund and wait a month on a oem comparable part from Indonesia that fits better

gah grrrrr *throws wrench*

·
Registered
4,770 Posts

Hi Brass
Sorry that your havering trouble with this ( I try not to give bad advice because I realise that its generaly worse than no advice at all)

The vibration from slightly longer studs shouldn't be a problem as long as the coil isn't touching the frame or tank
The wiring harness clip is bolted on so you can loosen the bolt that holds it in place move the clip and retighten

If you're not comfortable drilling into the frame
Here's a picture of what I think Steve was meaning
The L bracket could be made from a bit of angle aluminium or steel

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

not bad advice, just lack of skill, first bike, mechanics don't come easy to me

appreciate you more than you know, if not for this forum i would have already parted it out

thanks again!

·
Sensei
27,161 Posts

Correct about the angle brackets....Holes can be offset slightly if needed to adapt coil hole length to frame hole distances, and a wider "L" can set the coil away from the frame without longer bolts or spacers...... :D :D ;)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Angle brackets cause the coil towers to hit the horn even when wires aren't attached, the wider the bracket the farther it sticks out causing the coil to touch the tank.
When putting the coil into the frame hole in the direction of Simo's first picture, a multitude of combinations of longer screws/spacers/washers will not keep the towers off the frame regardless of whether the wires are attached.
When putting the coil into the frame hole in the reverse direction of Simo's first picture, same problem.
When putting the coil on as in my first picture and using the bracket included in the coil kit, the coil doesn't touch the frame but it touches the tank. (actually the tank won't fit back on with the coil in this position).
Filing the triangular frame hole would require taking off an inch of metal.
This coil won't work without drilling into the frame.
Does anyone know of any other option for an aftermarket coil or if a coil from another model will work?
Thanks much!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey guys. Sorry to revive an old thread.

I picked up a 140403S on ebay. I have it mounted and wired. I just don't know which tower goes to which side spark plug.

Any help would be appreciated.

Al 1112161552[1].jpg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts