Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I'll cut a long story short - I've just found my CB200 seems to not like ALOT of spark plugs. I can only get a few sparking on both HT leads. Some don't spark at all.
Could this be a bike electrical issue? But confusing that some do spark fine?
I have fitted a new coil - compatible not Honda - points - Honda I think - and condenser - compatible again I think.
Thanks!
Steve

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Is the coil getting enough voltage? With a multimeter probe the black/white wire connection at the coil. You should see battery voltage there, with the points open, and slightly less with the points closed. If there is a big voltage drop with the points closed try running a temporary wire from the coil directly to the battery and see if the spark gets stronger.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will try that thanks. Anything obvious failing if voltage is low or fluctuating? I did just charge battery but maybe too old!?

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Could be high resistance in the key switch, the handlebar kill switch, the fuse holder or the wire connections. Set your multimeter to volts and attach one lead to the battery positive terminal. Put the other lead on the red wire behind the key switch, that will test the fuse holder and the battery circuit wiring. Next move to the black wire on the switch, that will measure voltage drop in the switch. Next move to the black wire connections in the headlight. Next test the black/white wire in the headlight to check out the kill switch.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well i tried the power to coil as you suggested and it was less than 11V where battery is very nearly 12V. Even after the magnetic switch straight after battery its less than 11V so could be that!?
If not, on all your other suggestions am I looking for 12V again?
Many thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts